Showdown

Chapter 59: Showdown

"Don't worry, bud," Hiccup said softly to Toothless as the first rays of sun appeared in the sky. "We'll get through this. No matter what happens, we will work together to get out of this." Toothless pressed his nose against the bar of his cage whined softly. Then his demeanor changed complete as Grimmel approached.

Grimmel paid no heed to the snarling dragon and instead addressed Hiccup, "It is time."

Hiccup glared at him. "You will never succeed."

"Let us let history be the judge of that." Grimmel opened Hiccup's cage and immediately wrapped an arm around him, using his free hand to hold a dagger to his throat. "Come quietly, dragon. There is no need for anyone to get hurt."

Toothless had no choice but to ferry both of them back to Night Fury Island. It seemed Grimmel had taken over development of the island. Drago's defensive structures had been moved near the caves, where there were countless men already hard at work. A stage had been erected right in front of the entrance to the Hidden World. It was here that Grimmel made Toothless landed. The Vikings carefully dismounted the dragon, Grimmel keeping a close hold on Hiccup.

"I am sure your friends will be here momentarily," Grimmel said. "Then we can get this show on the road."

Hiccup eyed him suspiciously. "What exactly do you plan to do?"

"If they will not listen to reason, I will have no choice but to eliminate the threat they pose through force. It is the way of the world, after all."

"It does not have to be. We can learn to live in peace."

"To the detriment of human progress."

Hiccup thought about all the ways Berk had changed since they accepted dragons and all the improvements they had made. "That's not true. Real progress is made by interacting with those who are different from us. Innovation cannot thrive when new ideas are stifled by those who seek control."

Grimmel's eyes narrowed slightly. "It appears we have a different definition of 'progress.'" He turned his head away. "It is irrelevant. My forces are already gathering. Soon I will prove I am right."

Hiccup also swept his gaze across the island. In addition to the soldiers, dragons were now landing in front of them, forming a large circle around the clearing. The Night Furies took up post in a line in front of the stage. Lastly, the Bewilderbeast sat just off the stage to Hiccup's left, his intimidating stare threatening all those who might otherwise wish to oppose Grimmel. Toothless could give the uncertain dragons the strength to resist the large dragon's control, but he would never risk it if Hiccup's life was in danger.

The young chief noticed the ships sailing towards the island. Heart sinking, Hiccup realized these must be representatives from the other villages. Had all of his work really been for nothing? Was Grimmel right that fear and violence were the rulers of human nature and could not be changed? His gaze fell to Toothless, and he knew he had to do everything he could to protect him and the other dragons. He needed to look for the first opportunity to strike. Even if that ultimately got  killed, at least then there would be no reason for Toothless to hold back. He would be safe.

Then he spotted something more encouraging: dragons leading the way for several Berkian ships. As they grew closer, he spotted his riders on some of the dragons' backs. From other directions came ships from Outcast Island and Defenders of the Wing Island. Hiccup was sure there were some Wingmaidens mixed in there as well. They had come for him. Now he prayed they had a sufficient strategy to evade Grimmel's plan, whatever it was.

"Your friends know how to follow directions," Grimmel said. "This makes things easy."

Hiccup chose not to respond. Grimmel's soldiers allowed the dragon riders to land in the middle of the clearing. Astrid, Gobber, and Fishlegs dismounted and strode forward with their dragons behind them. The Night Furies growled at them as they stepped up onto stage and got in the way of the dragons to prevent them from following their riders.