Chapter 3: The Fight

You can all thank @peonybooks for the early update.  I have decided to post smaller chapters more often instead of one long chapter each week.  Enjoy!

 Kayla's P.O.V.     

        “Table 43’s full order is ready.  Kayla where are you?” A voice shouted as I rushed through the double doors into the kitchen at Burt’s Steakhouse.  I was in the middle of my second shift that night and I was exhausted.

               “Sorry I’m here.  Tracy some kid puked in our section can you get that please, I’ve got an impatient elderly couple who are going to flip if I don’t have their liver and onions, ew, out in the next thirty seconds” I begged my perky blonde coworker.

               “I’ll handle it, but only because you cleaned up last time” Tracy hip bumped me on my way out of the kitchen.  I served the elderly couple with that “Burt smile” and hurried to my next table, as I turned around my jaw dropped.  Who had just walked into Burt’s, of course Jake Mitchells along with three other football players and four girls wearing shorts that barely qualify as shorts.  And of course where did they sit, right smack dab in the middle of my section.  Could this get any worse or more predictable?  I swear I have the worst luck sometimes.  Tracy was still cleaning up kid vomit, so I had no choice but to go wait on their table. 

Jake and I had been teammates for three weeks, we had won all three of our games and were getting along great.  He was funny, he worked hard, and understood how I could be a little overly controlling sometimes.  He was great with Charlotte, he didn’t treat her like a little kid, and we had a lot of fun together, but we always avoided discussing school and our friends and stuff.  It was kind of nice keeping our two worlds separate.  That whole unspoken plan of ours just became a lot more complicated.

               “Welcome to Burt’s Steakhouse, my name is Kayla and I’ll be your server this evening” When Jake heard my name his head snapped up.  He seemed shocked to see me, but I mean come on there are two steakhouses in town, he had to know the odds were pretty high he would see me here.  I waited for his reaction.

               “Hey Kayla, I’ll have a Burger with everything on it and mashed potatoes instead of the fries” As soon as Jake said mashed potatoes we both started laughing.  After our win the previous Saturday we picked Charlotte up from Day Camp and the three of us went out for lunch afterwards.  Charlotte got all flustered when the waitress insisted she couldn’t have mashed potatoes as her whole meal, it could only be a side.  Charlotte thought this was ridiculous and accused the waitress of being racist toward mashed potatoes.  She spent a solid ten minutes ranting about how mashed potatoes are an independent food and can be perfectly delicious on their own.  She got into a huge fight with the waitress and she started using all of these big words that I had no idea she knew, it was hilarious.  After a minute I realized all of Jake’s friends were giving us weird looks.

               “Do you two know each other?” Tyler Barrett asked.  The only reason I knew his name was because Paige thought he was “dreamy and perfect”, her words not mine.

               “Oh, well we are-“ I started to explain.