Chapter 22: The First of Many Lasts

A honk sounded from my driveway.

"Mom no more pictures, Paige is here I have to go" I put my hand up in front of my face to block the camera.

"Kayla Marie Ryans this is the last time I will ever take your picture on the first day of school so humor me for one more minute please. Charlotte come over here and show your stubborn sister how this is done" My mom was waving the camera around so much I worried it would fly out of her hand.

Charlotte walked over in a purple sundress with her big Dora backpack and posed like a model.

Let me tell you folks it is not fun having a little sister that can out- do you in the looks department, especially when that sister is eleven years younger than you.

"Love you mom. See you later tonight! Char is going to her afterschool program and I am working tonight so I'll be home after she's in bed" I called behind me as I ran out the door toward Paige's car.

"How many pictures did she make you take?" Paige laughed as we pulled out of my driveway and headed toward Ridgemont High School.

"At least 15" I groaned.

"That's weak, my mom must've taken 30, maybe more. I know they mean well, but now my face hurts from smiling so much" Paige massaged her face as if to emphasize her point.

"Tell me about it. I can't believe we're seniors. This is our last first day of school. Our last year in Ridgemont" I looked out the window at all the local shops and parks and wondered how weird it would be to not see them every day next year.

"I feel so old all of a sudden. This is depressing. New subject. Do you and lover boy have a plan for this little secret relationship at school? Are there rules?" Paige looked at me out of the corner of her eye.

"If there are rules I have no idea what they are. I mean what do I do when I pass him in the hallway? Ignore him? I mean what are we doing here? This relationship makes no sense and I don't know-" Paige reached over and put her free hand over my mouth effectively cutting off my rambling.

"Kayla I don't know all the answers, but I know stressing over the questions isn't going to make anything easier. When you see him for the first time in the hallway you'll know what to do" Paige hugged me before we parted ways at the main entrance of the school.

I found my locker and checked my schedule. American Government with Mr. Burke. I groaned before starting down the hallway. Not only was Mr. Burke's class the last classroom in the longest hallway of the school, but he was also crazy.

I was sifting through all the rumors I had heard about crazy Mr. Burke when I saw him. He was walking down the hallway with a couple of friends heading in my direction. Jake was frowning at whatever his friend was saying, but as soon as we made eye contact he broke into a huge grin.

I smiled back wondering what I had been so nervous about. As we passed by in the hallway he reached his hand out and wrapped his pinky around mine. It lasted for barely a second and to anyone else it would look like we accidentally brushed hands, but to the two of us it was our little secret.