Chapter 8: Secret Plans, Death Threats, and Revenge

“Kayla are you home?  I have smoothies and pizza” Paige let herself into my house like she always does and was shouting up the stairs as usual.  We were having another movie night like we do every week.

               “I’m upstairs with Charlotte.  Come on up” I shouted.  Charlotte would not stop squirming as I tried to French braid her hair.  That girl was a big bundle of energy.

               “Hey Char how’s my favorite six year old?” Paige came in and pulled us both into a hug.

               “My name’s Charlotte and I’m great!  Can I watch a movie with you guys tonight?” Paige gave me a look saying ‘I try calling her Char every time, but she still won’t let me.  Are you sure your sister doesn’t secretly hate me?’  I couldn’t help but laugh because Paige had been trying this for years and Charlotte still stubbornly refused to let anyone besides mom and I call her Char, well us and Jake.

               “You can watch one short movie with us, but then you have to be in bed by 8, mom’s orders” I tried to give her the ‘I mean business’ look my mom had mastered, but mine never seemed to have the same effect.

               “Fine.  Can we watch Frozen?  I love Olaf he’s my favorite person in the whole wide world.  And see I have a braid just like Elsa.  And I know the words to all the songs.  I’ll sing every word to every song you’ll see!  Oh my gosh!  Oh my gosh!   I love Frozen so much can we please please please watch it I’ll love you forever” Charlotte rambled on and on.

               “Come on we watched Frozen last week and the week before that and the week before that and the week-“ Paige whined

               “Let it go let it go” Charlotte started singing in response.  I started cracking up and gave her a high five while Paige pretended to be mad at us.

               “Of course we can watch Frozen slow down motor mouth.  Why don’t you go find the DVD and Paige and I will grab the pizza.  Sound like a plan Stan?” I asked Charlotte while Paige and I shared a knowing look.

               “My name’s not Stan, it’s Charlotte” She shouted behind her as she ran down the stairs.

               “So what kind of smoothies did you bring this time?  Oh and don’t let me forget to pay you back for that and the pizza” I knew Paige would try and sneak out later without letting me pay for half the food.  Between her job and her two very successful parents who co-owned their veterinary practice she had plenty of spending money and was always trying to subtly pay for my stuff.  I knew she was just being a good friend, but I could pay for it on my own.

               “Strawberry for me and mango for you as usual, and then I got Charlotte that berry blast one she loves so much, but this time I had them put carrots in with the spinach instead of the broccoli since she noticed the broccoli last time” Paige whispered.  I swear Charlotte had radar for any mention of vegetables, which is why Paige and I had to sneak them into her smoothies.