Chapter 34

Y/n's POV:

I release the breath I had been holding for what felt like the past hour and relief floods my body. I feel my knees begin to buckle, but Agent Hotchner's arm wraps around my waist to keep me steady.

Just as I am about to thank him, my eyes meet Leora's from across the room. Her expression is pure malice, and knowing what she's capable of, I'm glad I'm surrounded by FBI agents.

I vaguely register the judge's voice announcing that Leora was found guilty; I am more focused on my staredown with her.

She ruined my life, this is what she deserves.

I watch as her arms are wrenched behind her back and cuffed. She is escorted out of the courtroom by the officers and we only break eye contact once she is out of the door.

Now she's gone, and I get to begin again with Spencer. Spencer.

My head whips around to the people seated behind me to see a dazed Spencer being held up by Agent Morgan. Morgan nudges his shoulder to get his attention, and his eyes immediately clear up when they land on me. He waves shyly and I return the gesture.

I need to see him. I need to talk to him, to hold him, to thank him for everything.

"Agent Hotchner?" I ask, getting his attention.

"Yes?"

"Can I go see Spencer now?"

A smile flashes on his lips and he steps aside to allow me to pass. I practically run down the aisle towards Agent Morgan and Spencer.

He shrugs off Morgan's hand from his shoulder and meets me halfway. His arms wrap around my waist after I throw myself against his chest, and he buries his nose in my hair in the same way I nuzzle against his chest.

I'm not sure how long we stay like that, but it's long enough that I leave a wet patch on his shirt from my tears.

"I missed you so much," he mumbles.

"Thank you," I sigh after pulling my face away.

He cups my jaw and runs his thumb over my cheekbone to wipe away the tears, despite his matching tear tracks.

We gaze into each other's eyes and at first, Spencer's are full of adoration, but it morphs into something negative. He almost looks guilty.

"What is it, Spencer?"

"I put you in jail for something you didn't do," he whispers.

"This wasn't your fault. You've done nothing but help me."

"I should've tried harder. I could've done it... I'm not weak," he says, but it seems more like reassurance to himself.

"Look at me," I say, putting my hand on the back of his neck and angling his head down, "You're my hero. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. You did this, Spencer. You're strong."

A smile ghosts on his lips and he pulls me in for another hug. I run my fingers through his hair soothingly and I hear his breathing slow.

"Why wasn't I allowed to see you earlier?" he asks.

"Agent Hotchner thought it was best if you kept your composure until you were on the stand. All that emotion was really powerful, and I'm pretty sure that's what swayed the jury," I tell him.

"Leave it to Hotch," he chuckles.

"Hey, Pretty Boy," Agent Morgan says from behind me. "Aren't you going to introduce me to Pretty Girl?"

"We've already met. I think being dragged around in handcuffs is a really intimate experience," I tease.

He laughs with us luckily, and I'm glad the team doesn't dislike me. They're here, after all.

"Garcia was talking about going out for drinks tonight to celebrate. Are you two in?" he asks. Spencer glances at me for a moment before answering for both of us.

"I think we're going to celebrate privately. Thank you, though."

Morgan nods and makes his way back to the ground, leaving us alone again.

"We are?"

"I want to take you out to dinner for a real date, not one over the speakers in an interrogation room and especially not one that's made up."

"I don't have anything to wear," I frown.

"Um... I know this is a slight invasion of privacy, but I pulled some strings and I was able to be sent some of your belongings. Just clothes and things like that, and we can buy anything else you might need," he smiles nervously.

"Is there anything you can't do?"

"I haven't found anything yet," he teases.

He takes a step back away from me and grabs my hand. He leads me towards the group of his teammates, who all turn to watch us approach.

They all greet me with hugs, handshakes, and an unexpected kiss to either cheek. Spencer slides into the space next to me, sandwiching me between him and Agent Prentiss, or Emily as she insisted.

"Hey, Hotch?" Spencer asks.

"Yeah, Reid?"

"Do you think I could get a couple of days off? I'd like to stay in the city for a little bit if that's okay."

"Take as much time as you need. We'll survive without you for a while," he smiles, this time a full one.

"Thank you for everything you've done to help," I say.

"It's not me you need to thank," he says, gesturing towards Spencer.

I lean into his side and we listen to their conversation in a silence that only comes when two people understand each other. I let my eyes fall closed and for the first time in a long time, I feel at peace.

I know I will have to visit Leora sometime to confront her, but for now, I want to enjoy what I have because there's always the chance of it being taken away again.