Chapter 13

I let go of the microphone button so Y/n can't hear us and quickly shut the door. My hands work at my sides nervously as Morgan stares at me expectantly.

"What's wrong?", he asks

"The suspect, Y/n", I gesture to her. "Is the woman from my dreams."

Morgan's face scrunches in confusion and he pinches the bridge of his nose.

"No, she isn't. You know that's impossible."

"No, it's not! I don't know where I would have seen her before, but it's her. I swear it is", I tell him, frustration evident in my voice.

"Kid, you're being-"

"Don't call me kid!", I snap. "I know it's her."

Derek sighs in defeat and decides to play along with me.

"Even if it is her, she killed six people. Is that really what you want?", he asks.

"She says she's being framed."

"Said every serial killer ever", he scoffs. "Look, there's nothing I hate more than what I can't have, and if you fall in love with her and she goes to jail, you'll never be happy. Just... be careful."

"I'm not going to fall in love with her", I say, but it sounds like a lie even to my own ears.

"I'm going to bring her to a holding cell. You can talk to her there if you want, but don't reveal anything about the case", he says before leaving the viewing room.

"Let's go", Morgan says to Y/n as he unlocks her cuffs from the table. When she is up from the chair, he holds her wrists behind her back but does not put the cuffs back on.

"Where are we going?", she asks.

"A holding cell, unless you want to spend the night in this chair?", he asks.

He leads her out of the room and past the door where I am standing. I catch her eye and give her a shy wave and she smiles hesitantly back.

I decide not to visit her cell. I was only able to talk to her because of the barrier between us, and even then I was nervous.

It's what's best for both of us.