Chapter 2

I walk into the office briskly, the sugary coffee in my hand now lukewarm from the time I spent on the subway. I put my bag down next to my desk and shrug off my jacket before draping it over the back of my chair.

I flop into my seat and pick up the stack of files on my desk JJ must have delivered to me and scan them. I try to read them quickly, but I find it difficult to concentrate.

I am still slightly grumpy from being pulled from what might have been the best dream I've ever had. It was so vivid and lifelike, I could almost feel her skin against mine.

I curse myself for not writing it down as soon as I woke up because I can feel some of the details slipping away. I may have an eidetic memory, but when it comes to dreams, I have never been able to recall them the way I could books.

Realistically, I know I will never find her. The chances of me meeting the woman who appeared in my dream are very low, but I made a promise to her and I would feel guilty if I didn't at least try.

I sign into my computer and open a new Google tab. I may not be as tech-savvy as some of the other agents, but I know enough to get around the internet.

As I research dreams and REM cycles, I learn that the brain cannot create human faces, so every that appears in my dreams is a real person I have seen before, even if it was only for a second.

She's out there and I've seen her before.

I can't help the flutter of excitement that I feel in my chest. I take a sip of my now-cold coffee, not because I am thirsty, but to hide my smile from Morgan's curious eyes.

I don't know who she is or where to find her, but I do know that everything has changed.