Chapter 19: Forgiveness Sets You Free

When we reached the How, everyone went their separate ways. Edmund was off to inform Peter that Miraz had agreed to the duel. I chose to inform the Queens that the deal had been struck and they could get ready to leave. Glenstorm and Wimbleweather each went off in different directions, likely to prepare for a battle.

I made my way to one of the secret tunnels that led outside. It was where the few horses we had were kept. I had also agreed to meet the two Queens there. They both looked in my direction as I turned the corner—I wasn't trying to be quiet—and smiled when they saw it was me. Silence passed for a moment as I tried to tell them that Peter's plan had been successful. For some reason, it got stuck in my throat and I wasn't able to say the words I needed to say. Susan managed to break the silence.
"I take it Miraz agreed to the duel then?" she asked.
"Yes." I nodded. "It took a little bit of persuasion on Edmund's behalf, but eventually he agreed to it."
"Edmund's good at that," Lucy said with a smile.
"There is a reason he was always the diplomat," I pointed out while trying to keep my concern about the battle from showing. But Lucy was good at reading me.
"Is something wrong?" she asked and both eyed me curiously.
"Edmund and I believe they will not honor their end of the deal," I told them. No use hiding it. "If they lose, they will likely attack."
"Let's hope Peter can keep them occupied long enough for us to find Aslan," Susan said.

I nodded and heard footsteps behind us. The girls didn't seem to notice and when I turned to look, Lucy chose to speak up again. She must've thought I was hiding something from them. Admittedly, I was, but nothing that would affect the impending battle or their search for Aslan.

"Is there anything else, Ana? You were quiet at the previous meeting," Lucy pointed out.
"What? Oh... I just thought this was one of Peter's better plans as of late. I don't particularly like the idea of him dueling with Miraz, but I understand his reasoning. I couldn't argue with what he said or offer a better solution."
"It's the best way to hold them off," Caspian said suddenly and I turned around, realizing he was the one I had heard approach. "Only I didn't plan on Peter being the one to fight my uncle."
"What do you mean?" I asked. I knew Peter had told him it was too personal but I wondered why the Prince thought he should be the one to fight.
"This is my battle. I brought this upon the Narnians. My uncle's quarrel is with me and my claim to the throne. I'm the only reason the Telmarines are set on killing off what remains of the Narnians."

I hummed, unsure how to respond to that. Luckily, Lucy had it covered.

"I'm going to assume you already tried to convince Peter to let you fight," she stated and at the Prince's nod, continued. "Aside from repeating what he told you earlier, I can guess what else Peter told you. 'You're too important to Narnia. If anything were to happen to him, you would have to take over.'"

Caspian looked surprised. Susan and I glanced at each other and then at Lucy. She merely grinned and stared at the Prince.
"Something like that, yes," he said, glancing at Susan.

As soon as they made eye contact, Susan looked away. It was strange, seeing as the two were rarely seen talking to each other. Every time the Prince tried to have a conversation outside of meetings, Susan avoided him. She was never shy; even with potential suitors she at least talked and turned them down politely. But this time, Susan seemed to be going out of her way to avoid being alone with the Prince. I did wonder why but knew it wasn't important at the moment.

"How did you know?" Caspian asked, bringing my focus back to the conversation at hand.
"We talked," Lucy supplied. "He told me he believes you capable of leading the Narnians should anything happen."
"I'm not sure I am," he responded with a bit of sadness in his voice.

Frowning, I watched as Caspian approached the horses. Without saying anything he selected a horse and saddle. I recognized it as the one he rode when we were fleeing the castle. As he saddled the horse, Susan and Lucy double-checked that they had everything they needed while I merely watched. I wanted to see them off but didn't know what to do to help.