Chapter 10: Preparation for an Attack

After his brief flash of anger, Peter had calmed down and resumed their discussion. I tried to push away his angry words and not let them bother me. However, I just couldn't shake them. They were still ringing in my ear and caused me to miss what all was being said. It wasn't until Trumpkin spoke that I was finally able to draw my attention back to our plans.

"We'll have the element of surprise," the Dwarf said.
"But we have the advantage here," the Prince argued.
"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," Susan stated, standing up behind Caspian.
"I, for one, feel safer underground," Trufflehunter interjected.
"Look, I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb," Peter told the Prince.
"Yes, and if they're smart the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out," Edmund agreed. He did have a point to that as there was no food source here.
"We could collect nuts!" Patterwig, the squirrel, said.
"Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines," Reepicheep agreed, sarcastically. "Shut up!"

Normally a comment like that would make me laugh, or at least smile. But not this time. I wasn't in the mood and couldn't even muster up the energy to fake it. Besides, seeing that the High King had just publicly yelled at me, I didn't think it a good idea to find something humorous when the situation was serious. I  would feel more embarrassed than I already did—if that was even possible.

Reepicheep redirected the conversation back to Peter. "I think you know where I stand, Sire."
He nodded and turned towards Glenstorm. "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?"
"Or die trying, my liege," he replied bowing his head. I felt sadness rise at the thought of losing more Narnian lives. And for what? A coup?
"That's what I'm worried about," Lucy spoke causing everyone to look at her.
Peter's face held anger and confusion. "Sorry?" he asked.
"Well, you're all acting like there are only two options. Dying here or dying there." I agreed with that but wasn't sure how to plan for it otherwise.
"I'm not sure you've quite been listening, Lu."
"No. You're not listening!" Leave it to Lucy to disagree with her brother. She was probably the only one to publicly do it and not be punish or 'put in her place' for it. "Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"
Peter's face darkened a little. "I think we've waited for Aslan long enough." His voice was cold and clipped.

He turned back to the others and I watched as Lucy's face fell. She was worried about them and the Narnians. A castle invasion was risky, especially without Aslan's blessing. Even the weakest plans could be successful if it was what Aslan wanted. But this plan didn't seem like it. It seemed brazen and rash, something one would come up with if they had something to prove. Unlike his usual plans, this one was sorely lacking in a great strategy and it was very dangerous.

Shortly afterwards, the final plans were made and Peter dismissed the group. The Narnians left first and the royals lingered for a moment. There was a silent discussion between the siblings that I couldn't decipher. Assuming they wanted privacy, I made to leave when Peter turned on his heel and quickly left. Both Susan and Edmund were quick to follow, but both sent me a sympathetic smile before they left. The Prince watched them leave and then looked at the two remaining figures. Both felt crestfallen and perhaps a bit angry—but for very different reasons.

"I'm sorry," was all he said and then he too was gone.

Lucy finally made to leave and I stood up with the intent to follow her. She had to know that I agreed with what she thought. Aslan was our only hope, the only way we could win this war.

I placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and she turned to me. "Lucy, you're right. We need to wait for Aslan. He's our best chance. Peter's plan is a half-baked disaster at best, suicide at worst."
Lucy nodded, sending me a grateful smile. "Thank you, Ana. I'm glad someone is on my side. Everyone else seems to have forgotten about Aslan like He no longer exists."
"To some He never did," I told her. "Because they have not seen Him, it's hard for them to believe Aslan exists. But if they had only reached out, they would've discovered He was there all along."
"You never lost faith," Lucy smiled.
I couldn't return it, knowing there was a time I had. "I've seen Him. Since you disappeared, Aslan has visited me twice. One time to save me and another to make me a promise. He promised me he would return one day and Narnia would be free."
"He saved you? How?"
"It's been 1300 years, Lucy. If it wasn't for Aslan, I wouldn't be standing before you today. He saved me more times than I could count. He made sure I was alive for such a time as this."
She seemed to want to know more, but knew I wouldn't reveal any more. "Don't let what Peter said get you down. He's just angry that he had to go back the being a boy after being a King. We all were, but he took it the hardest. I know you did the best you could. My guess is that without you, there wouldn't be any Narnia left to come back to."
"Aslan wouldn't have let that happen," I assured her.
"Maybe... But the Narnians are alive because of you. I know it. You can deny it if you want, but I know you were crucial to their survival."