Chapter 11: Miraz's Castle Inflitration

Much to my surprise, Peter didn't order me to stay behind. I would be going with them—Susan, Caspian, Trumpkin, and himself as Edmund wasn't being dropped at the same location as the rest of us. My role was similar to that of the gryphons. I was going to carry one of them over the castle turrets and into the courtyard. Who I would be carry had yet to be decided but Peter promised to inform me before we departed. I nodded, not caring who it was as long as I was allowed to go with them.

After discussing my role in the attack, I was dismissed. Aside from getting them into the castle, I was mostly backup support for the royals on the ground. I had a sneaking suspicion one of Peter's siblings had pushed for it. After all, the High King barely seemed to trust me so why he allow me to have such a role in the attack? But I felt a little grateful to be involved and left to prepare.

While I was gathering my weapons and armor, Lucy found me. Although I didn't need it, she helped me into my armor. I wondered why she wasn't with her siblings but assumed she was a little angry with them. It hadn't been said directly while I was present, but I knew Lucy wasn't allowed to go into battle. I definitely knew how that felt and decided to let her help me. It wouldn't make much of a difference, but it would help her feel more useful in preparation for a battle. Aslan knows I did it enough.

When I was finally ready I turned to leave, but Lucy halted me. "Ana, this plan..." she said, almost hesitant. "I've got a bad feeling about it."
"I know, Lucy. Believe, me I know," I agreed, feeling much the same way.
"It's just... I feel as though everyone will die. As if this mission is..."
"Suicidal?" I offered. "It's very dangerous and risky. But you know I would never let anything happen to them."
"I know," Lucy sighed. "But you can't protect everyone."
"No... But I can try to save as many as possible. I'll do the best I can. That's all any of us can do."
"Be careful out there. Stay safe."
"I'll do my best. But I can promise you this, Lucy. If anyone is coming home it will be your siblings and the Prince. Even if I have to make them hate me by pulling them from the fight."
She smiled. "I know you will. But please, make sure you come home too. You're needed here. I can't lose another good friend." There were the beginnings of unshed tears in her eyes. I was routed to my spot, frozen by her words.

All the friends I had, Lucy did as well—possibly more. She must've felt terrible when she realized everyone was gone, thinking I was as well. At least I knew they were coming back someday—as much as it pained me to think about it—but she had no idea I was still alive. Many of the Narnians believed I had died and that was the rumor that likely spread. It wasn't until we met in the woods nearly a week ago that Lucy knew I was safe. But she was so close to losing me, so close to me just giving up. I didn't realize until that moment how much I meant to her.

So I did the only thing I could. I drew Lucy into a hug a felt her arms wrap tightly around me. She didn't want to let go, too afraid this would be her last time seeing me. But I managed to push her away enough to look into her eyes. I couldn't say what I wanted, what I needed to in order to comfort her. The words just wouldn't form. But judging by the nod she gave me, Lucy understood.

Footsteps sounded behind and I drew away even more. Lucy looked confused at first but when Susan rounded the corner, she understood. The two sisters hugged and muttered assurances to each other while I shuffled awkwardly. Then with a nod from Susan, the two of us headed towards the exit. There was a heavyweight on my chest, wondering just what we were doing. I knew if this plan was successful, several lives would be lost. Lives always were in battles, even surprise attacks.

Lucy followed us outside as we caught up with the brothers and Caspian. All of the Narnians were saying goodbye to each other as well. The brothers were serious and emotionless, but in their eyes, I could read the worry I always saw before a battle. Worry that the other would not come home. Things were starting to seem more familiar, but Peter was still tense in my presence. The Prince looked determined but unsure and I could sense his uneasiness. I didn't know what to say to ease his mind as I felt just as uneasy—if not more—than he did.