36. The Druid's Staff

Start from the beginning

"You're obsessed, Kath," Rachel said, having claimed most of one sofa for herself after the four of us had gathered in the living room.

"No I'm not, I just think we can do better. We can't rely on fairies for everything."

"I understand why it bothers you," Becca chimed in. "You'd think the Fae could do a lot more than me, and flowers are kind of easy. It probably wouldn't take—"

"What did you say?" Katherine sat up sharply.

Becca glanced at me then back at Katherine. "Uh, I just—I mean I understand how you feel."

"No, the other part. You can make flowers grow?"

"I just..." Becca eyed the room nervously. "When that circle of grass showed up under Tom I wondered if I could do it again. I mean it's not really me, it's the Fferyn, but it's one of the easiest spells I've been able to find in the Glim."

Rachel groaned, knowing what was coming. Katherine leaped to her feat, took Becca by the hands, and pulled her off the couch. "Show me," she said eagerly, her face glowing.

We were all quickly pulled into the project, and after a flurry of activity, Becca stood bewildered and a little fearful among the scruffy yellow grass, hugging the Glim and the Fferyn to her chest.

"You don't have to do this, Becks." Rachel said, drawing a glare from Katherine.

"Nobody's forcing her to do anything."

"She's scared you'll flip out on her if she doesn't."

Becca started to say something, but she was drowned out by Katherine's retort. I caught her eye and mouthed an exaggerated, "blah, blah, blah..." while clandestinely mimicking the chatter with one hand. She pressed her lips together to keep from laughing.

"Are you telling me you aren't interested in what she can do?" Katherine went on.

"No, I'd be thrilled to see someone who isn't a fairy throwing this magic bullshit around, I'm just telling you it's not your decision."

"I never said it was."

"Do you know why we're friends?" Rachel asked. "Because I'm the only person other than Tom who can tell you no."

"That's not true!"

"Tom will back me up."

I held up both hands in surrender. "Tom will stand quietly over here and wait for you two to sort it out."

"Don't be a pussy. You know I'm right."

"Please don't fight," Becca interrupted suddenly. "It's okay, I'll do it. I'm just not used to people watching me."

"That's hard to believe," Rachel said, eying her critically. Becca turned a deeper shade of red and stared at her feet. I finally stepped forward.

"Okay, that's enough, you're just making her more nervous. Becca, we all want to see what you're capable of, but it's fine if you're not comfortable with it."

She looked up at me and shook her head. "Thanks. I want to do it. It's just harder with so many eyes on me. I know it's silly."

"If you don't like the attention—"

"I like it fine," she said. "I like that you see me. But if I get it wrong, I—it's been a long time since I had friends and I don't want to mess it up."

"Oh, honey, no." The pity in Katherine's voice was palpable, the kind of sympathetic tone I'd always hated. "We're all here for you, no matter what."

Becca sighed. "I don't expect you to understand. You're perfect."