Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

You're suddenly washed with fear. An ice cold bucket drenching you to wake up. Fear for the fleeting present and the approach of a future uncertain. A future that starts once you are crowned- you shiver, imagining the golden diadem atop your head and Jennie's upon hers and Marcadia at the palm of your hands without a trace of Jennie like some sick trade—

You get that gut wrenching thought that this heaven wouldn't last forever.

It feels awfully real.

"I best hand these papers back to the council." Ms. Choi says, gathering today's work in her hands while you and Jennie tuck in the chairs, "I shall inform you of any further revisions to—"

You hear a shout. The voice, the order of your royal guard to the others.

And another with running footsteps down the corridor. You hear the commotion of guards heading for the vestibule like a chase in an enemy attack.

You hear Lisa.

You hear her grunts and shouts to stop- Jennie grabs your arm in a fright and you pull her with you toward Lisa's drawn exclaims to let go of her and panic sheers inside you with every grueling boom of the struggles outside- you need to stop them and you need to hurry—

You run faster, beating every pump of your rapid heart because something is wrong- you hear Sehun- you shouldn't be hearing his voice but you do and it's loud and calling for Lisa and you hear your father and his orders for restraints.

There is the shrilling terror for what you are to see because you just know. You're running on your broken promises shattered on the floor from the striking impact of your failures upon your best friend. You tried, you tried your best to stop what you have been so afraid of from coming entrenched, but you let Lisa down and her reality stands in the almighty of your father by the grand doors.

You tried— you promised— but they've just been caught.

"Lisa!" you push past the servants who have come to watch. You see Lisa by the gates, held back by Suho- held back from Sehun tackled on the ground.

"Oh god- Sehun"

"Jennie wait—" she dashes to her best friend and the disorder and you stride to your father because he needs to stop this "Let them go" they have done nothing wrong-

"It's a shame, Roseanne" he says, though, torn with his demands is far from the impassive disregard he has as he watches the arrest with his chin high, "I thought Lisa new better. She is the Princess' best friend after all."

It's innocent with Lisa- it always is so please— "Father I can explain it all- they just—" You look back at them "J-Jennie—" she's trying to pry the guards off of Sehun- she's going to get hurt, "Please - this is just brutal!" you exclaim and you hope the whole palace, all who stand to witness the showcase of their underlying fate come they find love- let them know what merciless mortal they have for a king.

Your father looks down at you. He is emotionless, unremitting and brazen, "This is monarchy." a cold heart you have for a father "Take him away" he commands the guards.

"N-No— wait" you jump down the steps and run toward Suho, "Stop" you say, exerting all your strength to wring his hands off of Lisa. She tries desperately to get to Sehun. "Suho please" You're begging him to put what he thinks is right before your father because you know- the tears in his eyes are sorry for following orders.