Chapter Twenty Eight

28•••

28
•••

      You always feared someone would take her away. The monarchy, the government, the crown- even your inabilities to protect her from them.

You always feared someone would take Jennie from you, but you never imagined she would be the one to walk away.

Stay, your mind stumbles upon, struggling to bring the word, the request, the hope, to your mouth and out loud enough for her to hear through the slit of the closed door. Just for one more night, because it's late, the night is cold and pathways are pitch dark. Stay until the morning, because maybe she will change her mind when the sun comes up. Forget what she had said under the moonlight, that she does not want to love you anymore- forget it as easily as she did to your misdeeds on that clouded night of lost control. You will forget about it just as quick.

"Jennie?" her name heaps out of your chest, quiet and weak below the weight of needled distress and brazen hurt. You feel fragile in every part, your entirety cracking like glass. The mosaics tiled with every moment you had with Jennie's love are chipped and fractured, and every fortress built to protect this is ruined. The bridges to your world with Jennie are wrecked and your cathedrals have been burned. "Let's talk about this" you can pick up the pieces and hold them for the night, "Please just talk to me" we can put them back together with our conservations in the dark.

You clasp on the knob, but the door remains locked, and the shuffle of steps and thuds of belongings grow louder in her haste. You claw at the separation between you, your mind seeing her suitcases packed of her life here with you and the sentiments she holds to you now that she has unloved you.

You have been stripped of your rights to her love and to be disregarded and shunned, you haven't felt its wretchedness to this extent since Jennie was yours and you were hers. And it hurts terribly. Standing here waiting as she rushes to leave you- You're being torn apart, cut with a hundred thousand paper cuts on the skin Jennie kissed and touched and imprinted herself on and it hurts like salt water seeping into the raw wounds as you're anchored down to where you can't reach the light and you're finding it hard to breath, still caught in the middle of losing Jennie.

"Please, love, I just want to—"

The wind catches your breath when she swings the door open. She's dressed and ready to go. You look her in the eye, hers red and sullen, not far from comparison to yours- and you look for the sign that shows you she wants to stay, like the hope in yours that she still will.

"If you will excuse me," she voices out, carrying a luggage and brushing her way past you.

"Jennie" fresh tears spring to your eyes when you smell strawberry, "Jennie please wait" you hurry to catch her, but she continues headstrong, descending the staircase quickly and your tears blur your vision with the thought of you chasing after love whilst she runs away from it.