Chapter Five

I managed to survive the night without any more haunting dreams. However, I still woke with a cold sweat clinging to my body. I needed to sort this out. I clambered out of bed and executed my usual morning routine: shower, clothes, face and hair, food and last of all, teeth.

Giving a final look in the mirror, I noticed that my features still looked the same as last night. I wasn’t my imagination distorting it, it actually had changed. Muttering cursive words under my breath I tried to apply a good layer of foundation – not that it was needed, and cover my now flawless skin. I couldn’t do much with my hair, so I would pass it off as an experiment with dye. My eyes, well no one really gazes into them, so I should be alright.  

Laura and I gave our father a quick goodbye and ‘see you later’ before leaving the house. He gave a little wave, not looking up from the papers beneath his fingers.

‘You look like mummy,’ I felt Laura’s gaze burn into my flushed cheeks, cocking her head like a curious puppy. My eyes moved to hers; I was unable to think of a response and gave her a warm smile and squeezed her hand.

‘Mummy did that too,’ her head and shoulders slumped forwards, facing the ground.

‘Hey, cheer up Laura. Mummy wouldn’t want you to be sad. She’d want you to run and have fun with your friends,’ I crouched down in front of her; brushing a strand of hair away from her eye, using my thumbs to remove the evidence of the salt-filled tears that had formed below her delicate eyes. A small sniffle expressed her inner feelings and I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, ‘I’ll never leave you. I promise,’ I murmured into her thick raven coloured curls of hair.

We made our way down the drive; meeting with one of Laura’s friends, Mary, at the end. Laura instantly bounded into action, as though our little moment hadn’t happened. She was definitely my sister; being able to put up a façade seemed to be my family’s trait.

The two of them walked ahead, chatting away about nothing, whilst I brought up the rear listening to their childish squeaks. Soon enough we were passing the old house. This time I noticed that there were lights on in the downstairs rooms; someone was now living there. Slowing my pace down, I tried to see into the house at whoever inhabited the building, but there was nothing. That was when I saw the large oak door open and a blonde haired boy stepped out in the crisp morning sun.

‘Lily, come on you slowcoach!’ Laura and Mary called simultaneously, from halfway down the street. Quickly, I turned back to the path and hurried after the girls.

After dropping the two girls off at the primary school, I made my way round the corner and headed towards Rosaline High School, apparently named after some teacher who did something clever. I never paid enough attention in history. I spotted Imogen waiting outside by the gates, looking for me. She glanced in my direction, but immediately looked away. How could she not have seen me?

‘Imogen!’ I called in her direction, she looked back at me, confusion spread across her face. She half-heartedly held up a hand and gave a faint wave.

‘What the… Lily? Christ, you look so hot!’ Imogen’s mouth gaped open.

‘You could fit a pie in that hole,’ my hand pushed her chin up, closing her mouth. I chuckled as she grabbed my arms, leaning back and studying my body.