(26)

"So what did you want to talk about?"

"So yesterday, I took them to the fair-"

"What does your date have to do with us?"

"You didn't let me finish! And I don't think it was a date." I muttered, "The main thing is the games. The surprise was how well they did. It- Jace, are you okay?"

"Out. Out. Out. Out!" He whimpered.

"What the fuck?"

I led the way to the back door, "He's, uhm, indoor adverse? He hates being inside it makes him feel cooped up and then he freaks out. Jali's not as bad, but Jace was in the car and then in the building. It must have built up fast and burst." He saw the doors and bolted out and laying in the grass face down.

"Wow, that's- just wow." Gavin said.

"But I was trying to say-"

"You're not gonna check on him?"

"So he can claw my face off? No thanks. I know he's fine. He's not panting anymore and he's stopped with the broken record imitation." I pointed out, "But I'm more concerned about the fact that when they played the games, Jali was a good as a professional sniper. And do not get me started on Jace and the damn knives. That was terrifying."

"What was so terrifying about it?"

"He had like a dark look, like an assassin, right?"

"Yeah?"

"But he finished and smiled up at me like a little kid on Christmas." I shuddered.

"I'm guessing they're good?"

"Perfect even. I've never seen them fight. I've seen Jace take a punch without budging but I've never seen Jali do anything."

"Speaking of Jace... Where the fuck is he?"

"In that tree."

"How did he-"

"I asked the same question. He replied sarcastically. Don't bother."

"You asked me if I was a monkey! Of course, I replied sarcastically to that!"

"You can hear us?"

"Yes. Why else would I respond."

"Dear gods, he has supersonic hearing."

"He might, but I think he's just attentive."

"Inattentive." Jali snickered and I smacked his side. He gave me a wounded look.

"Do you want to test them to see if they're as good as they were at the fair or is it was just a fluke?"

"It's up to them, but I thought I should say something. Just in case."

Davin looked up at Jace, "Have you ever had training?"

"For what?"

"Fighting in any way."

"Not really. Unless- No, that was an idiot getting mad about his girl."

"Are you talking about school?"

"No. A couple months before you, some girl was clinging to me to avoid her abusive boyfriend. He came at me and I had to fight. That was annoying as hell."

"I feel like you're more upset that you were inconvenienced than for the girl."

"No, what was annoying was that the girl hadn't just screamed for help. There was a police car two blocks away. If they didn't hear that, then she must've been faking. I honestly don't think she really wanted out of that relationship. She seemed mad when I knocked him out. It was almost like they were playing a game. Though I could've done without them roping me into their bullshit."