chapter three

Although skeptical of my request, Benji did end up following through and sending me more information on Jamie's file. Still chewing the skin around my thumb, as I had been since Benji sent this all to me hours prior, I anxiously flipped through the papers learning more about Jamie and her life. Turns out she'd been born and raised in Seattle, and had a spotless record. She lived with her mom and three younger brothers, with their father being absent for most of her life, if not all of it. Jamie was a cheerleader in high school and stood out from the majority of her class based off of her amazing grades and also attendance in comparison to everyone else. The thing that was surprising though in learning all of that, was during her senior year she was yanked from school suddenly and switched to learning completely remote. Jamie's grades declined, and she stopped showing up completely to after school practice and all future events the school held-- including graduation. I narrowed my eyes and put the file down, finding the complete shift in behavior extremely odd and wondering if it was somehow connected to whoever was out to get her. Either way I had what I wanted, information. Now it was my turn to take care of her as I told Benji I would.

Lacing my ankle high boots and cuffing my leather jacket sleeves to where the ink on my arms was just barely visible, I bent down beside my bed only to slide out the jet black trunk I had hidden underneath. My fingers expertly twisted the lock on the front, punching in the code I knew all too well from all the times I was forced to use what was inside. The satisfying pop was heard from the lock as I held my breath opening it, only to reveal the different array of tools I had become comfortable using in my line of work over the years. My fingers lightly traced over my Sai's and I let out a shaky breath, reminding myself that the inner-conflict I was feeling would be over soon and I could continue my life the way I had before meeting Jamie. Picking them up, I tucked them expertly into my boots where they'd remain hidden from prying eyes, but also be within access for when I needed to use them. Tucking the trunk back underneath my bed, and grabbing my keys from the kitchen counter, I made my way down the stairs of my apartment complex and towards my car. It was raining outside, and although that wasn't uncommon with where I lived I couldn't help but find it ironic that the weather itself was unruly, while I also found myself restless over the idea of hurting Jamie. Regardless of my inner turmoil, I proceeded to start my car and drive to the listed address of Jamie that was in the file Benji sent over to me. 

I parked across the street from the house that Jamie lived in, and I sighed looking up at it. The only sound to be heard from inside my car was the sound of raindrops hitting my windshield, and also my heartbeat which I'm sure was the loudest it had ever been in that moment. As I was just about to get out of my car though, and older woman resembling Jamie stepped out onto their front porch. She was in scrubs and had her hair up in a messy bun, grabbing their mail and standing underneath the overhang of their porch to read it. I trained my eyes on what I could only assume to be Jamie's mother and gripped my steering wheel until my knuckles turned white. Completely unbeknownst to the fact that I was watching her across the street silently, she shivered from the cold and I made her way back inside hurriedly to warm up. I bit my lip and clenched my hand, hesitantly turning on my car and then speeding away from the house before I could change my mind. Somehow I ended up in the parking lot of a rundown looking diner, slumping back in my seat and frustratedly ran my hands through my hair. My phone vibrated from the passenger seat and I picked it up sighing audibly.

"Well?" Benji questioned, referring to Jamie and I felt irritation rise in my stomach.

"Can't do it. Too many risks." I typed back. The reply from him was instantaneous as I already knew he was waiting eagerly by the phone to hear whether I had finished the job.

"They'll just send someone else, you know? I'll start looking into other jobs for you."  Benji sent and I gritted my teeth at the response, still feeling torn even if it was no longer my responsibility to take care of Jamie. I decided against replying and instead got out of my car, heading towards the diner.