chapter five

Considering no one likes to be the sober one in a room full of drunk people, it only seemed logical to make a beeline for the bar. Electronic music pulsed in the club as the lights changed and people laughed while they jumped around, their sweat coated bodies mashing with others on the dance floor. I shivered at the thought and took a seat at the bar, pushing my thoughts of envy for all those people dancing without a care in the world, to the furthest corner of my mind. I needed to be present, the target was here, so my undivided attention was as well.

"Hey sweetheart. What're we drinking tonight?" The male bartender shouted over the music to me. His black hair was slicked back and the front of his shirt was wet with an array of different liquors, he lazily slung a towel over his shoulder and rested his hands on the bar.

For a second I even considered if drinking on the job was a good idea, but then again I killed people for a living so were there any rules here that I had to abide by?

"A vodka tonic with a lime wedge please. If you have Tito's I'll take that." I yelled looking into his icy blue eyes, folding my legs and leaning on the bar top as well.

He nodded and gave me a dazzling smile as he turned around and pulled a bottle of Tito's from their display and began to make my drink. I redirected my attention to the dance floor and began to scope out all the visible exits and hallways there were in the building from my seat. Where was the target-- had he not shown up to work tonight? I shook my head as I knew from the file given, he was really time oriented in the way he worked so that he also had "product" to auction off at his showings. My drink was slid to an open space on the countertop beside me and I looked down, grabbing the lime wedge that was positioned on the side of the glass and squeezing it into my drink.

"Thank you!" I said to the man without a name and he nodded, smiling again. I fished money out of my back pocket and slid it across to him. "No change!"

 Before he could thank me though I stood from the bar, drink in hand, and made my way to a hightop in a darker corner of the club to continue scoping it out. One camera out front of the main entrance, one in the main lobby, two cameras overlooking the dance floor and one behind the DJ in his booth. Not to mention I hadn't seen what I was dealing with in any of the other rooms of the club yet, nor the target. I sipped my drink and finally caught site of a purple haired bouncer exiting the DJ booth, walking off towards a hallway that I had yet to explore.

Immediately stalking off in his direction, I pushed through the bodies of the dancing crowd and closer to the target before I lost him. The music and lights were overwhelming my senses, but I strained to keep sight of the purple mohawk that belonged to the man that I was meant to terminate tonight. Nudging another man to the side who looked pissed off that I'd even bothered him to begin with, I took another large step and flung my drink forward as I purposefully bumped into the target. My drink immediately soaked the front of his black shirt and the bouncer mumbled as he looked down at the mess I'd made. Looking back up at me, I feigned embarrassment at my "clumsiness" and felt my cheeks heat up slightly. 

"Oh my god! I am so sorry about that, here let me help clean you up-" I began and placed my hands on his chest, feeling him flex beneath my hands. He pursed his lips and gave me a smirk looking down at me.

"It's not that big of a deal, I'll be alright." He said looking my body up and down, and it took everything in me to not squirm in disgust under his gaze. I bit my tongue and shook my head in disagreement, redirecting my gaze to the ground and removing my hands from his chest.

"Nonsense. I'm so embarrassed that I just made a fool of myself like this in front of a man like yourself." I pushed a lock of my brown hair behind my ear and forced myself to look into his eyes, they were a darker hazel color and mischief could be seen behind them.