Dumbledore blinked at the surprisingly wise words.
So he did see what he meant....

"And I ain't surprised that everyone and their mother ain't believin tha story anytime soon. From what I heard, a decade or so back, half my house would've been tryin to shove that stone to that egotistical bloke people fear. Loads of my housemates are prats anyways when it comes to behavior-but I think we both know the real reason for that."

Dumbledore was frankly quite stumped by the newly-Christianized second year.
That was a response he'd expect to hear from a fifth year.......that or Ms. Granger.....

"It's the same bleedin reason why the houses loathe each other so much, well at least, my house's reasons-their bloody parents. And their parents before em."

The air between them was thick.

Dumbledore found that he couldn't argue even if he wished to.

The boy.......unfortunately had a point.

It pained the headmaster of Hogwarts to know how his students were being taught and raised.....to go down the mental path of thinking oneself superior to another....it was one of the reasons why Tom went off converting others so fast......children have always possessed the need to be accepted somehow and somewhere....and he took advantage of those who were lost.

He still found himself guilty for not stopping him sooner....for not helping him sooner....for not removing the tumors of angry and darker thoughts while he had the chance......but he didn't then.

Like he couldn't now.

"Unfortunately Mr. Constantine....I quite know this well.....but their parents are entitled to grow and teach them how they see fit. Even if their way isn't necessarily the best way. The elder wizarding families have strong connections in high places.....there is only so much that we can do as teachers."

John felt something clicked deep in his subconscious.
"Most of em have ta figure out right n wrong for themselves."

"Precisely....."

A stretch of silence grew between the two as they continued.
The hallways becoming louder and fuller as Hogwart's students began to awake fully.

"I'm goin back to the Leaky Cauldron ain't I?"

Dumbledore blinked.
"Yes....that was what the ministry agreed on for now, but you'll be gaining a guardian soon.

"What?"

"Of course. You are a minor currently."

"But I don't need a babysitter mate!"

"Of course not-you'll be getting a caretaker, not a-"
"-that's not what I bloody-"

The blonde groaned, shoving his bruised face into his palms.

"Thank you Professor-but I need to go pack."

Dumbledore lightly sighed at the retreating form of his student.
He felt quite content with the change of topic John offered, gratefully picking up the new conversation.

Hopefully the guardian chosen for Mr. Constantine will be sufficient.........

........and able to keep up with the blonde.

———————————————

"It is a bit of a relief that the year is over."

Harry nodded at Ron's words, the redhead still feeling sour from their close call.
His friend kept his gaze on the floor as they walked towards the train.

They almost had it last night...

"Ron, look at it this way-if we got this far our first year, imagine that we could do the next one!"

"Well mate-we only got those points because we went down there to stop Quirrell-we still would've been dead last without em...."

"-and remember Harry! We lost points for breaking rules!"

"Then we do better next year Hermione! We really ought to listen to you more often because most times you're the one in the right."

She preened.
Ron flattened.

"Oi! Most of the times?! What am I?! I'm never right?!"

The two laughed at the redhead.

"Well....certainly not as often as Hermione!"
"You would've failed 70% of your classes without me Ronald, and that was when we attended the same classes. I can only imagine how third year will be like! Having electives to choose from!"

The mood shifted at the idea.

"Electives! Oh that'll be brilliant when we get to chose our classes freely! I won't choose a single class near Snape's floor!"

They laughed at the redhead's planning, sharing a feeling of mutual understanding.
They wouldn't voluntarily choose to be near Snape either.

"Hey! Harry mate! Ron! 'ermione!"

The new second years looked back and over their shoulders, a familiar head of blonde shifting into sight.

"John!" Harry grinned.

"Ello mate! Didn't have a chance ta say a few words before we leave...."

John felt that saying something was the right thing ta do, they were kids after all....

....and John wasn't sure if he'd be makin next year....

"You three holdin up dandy?"

Their heads tilted at the phrasing, but they nodded anyways, understanding it nonetheless.

"Yea, we're doin fine mate."

"Congratulations on winning the cup John, even though you've made your opinion plenty clear."

The blonde half smiled, half grimaced at the young witch before him.
She was only being polite.

Ron, perhaps, seemed to've picked up on the discomfort.
"We've ought to be on the train soon though! Those booths are gonna fill fast if we don't hurry up!"

"Right!-Ha-harry where you goin?"

"Find us a seat! I'll be up soon!-I've gotta say bye to Hagrid!"

John and the two Gryffindors watched the ebony boy go before walking up the steps.

"Are you comin with us John?"

The mage scratched the back of his head.
"Sadly not luv, I've got my own waitin for me."

"Ah......well we shall see you later then John?"

"Right....Ron. Hermione. Say bye to Harry for me will ya?"

He waved a lazy hand as he stalked his way towards the back, yet again acquiring an empty room.

The mage placed his bag below him and groaned into the seat.

The room was decently quiet, even with the loud students accompanying the train.

He leaned his head against the window.

Maybe he could get some time in after all.

He didn't hear the door slide open and close.

He didn't notice the seat across from him dip from a sudden new weight.

"Tch."

John blinked his eyes open.

He did see the orbs of stormy gray stare back.

🎉Happy Holidays in whatever you celebrate! 🎁