Chapter 4

If I had any sense I would have taken out every single guard in the building, but I didn't have any sense left in my body after I watched Davina start to ask more and more questions about the Originals and how we worked. God, Marcel kept this girl away from humanity for so long. Yeah, maybe the witches would have killed her for having this much power, but still. What the hell is going on around here?

Normally I didn't play politics. That was Nik's job. My throne was just for show, until my family needed my magic. I did my job, playing the role of a perfect little sister and powerful Original Heretic. Honestly, that was all I needed to do in order to maintain the city. Nik did everything else for us all.

My brother was born to be a leader. Of his family, of his pack, and of the city. I was meant to lead as well. For my coven, for my children, and for any young siphoner who needed me.

Nik was the authority, I was the people. We worked hand in hand. If we didn't have Nik, there would be no law and order. Without me, there would be slaughter, no morality. Checks on each other.

Marcellus had taken after his father. This town had no love, no compassion. Even if Marcel stood for his own people, he didn't have empathy for those around him. He had lackeys, not friends. A whole new level of loneliness would dawn on him once he realizes that his people will turn to those with more power than he. These sorts are cowards, just pawns in the game. They don't really know how they're going to play, meaning their loyalty is nonexistent.

"Well, Davina, how old are you?" I asked the young girl. She couldn't have been older than 16, perhaps 17. "A young girl like you must want to see the world. I remember I did."

"I'll be 17 soon." I nodded, looking around for Caroline and Laurel. "Who are we trying to find? I could try to sense them."

"Pregnant woman with at least a hybrid baby named Caroline and a very aggressive redheaded vampire named Laurel. If Kol is here Marcel is in for a beating from him, he doesn't take well to being kidnapped. Many have tried. I would redirect you to them for proof, but they're all dead." Davina gulped as I made my way into another room.

Caroline was there, tied down, and very annoyed. I ripped the duct tape off her mouth and she gasped.

"Let's get out of here," I said unenthusiastically. "He's letting us go, so no fighting for me. Do you know where Laurel is?"

"Yeah, she's over there," Caroline informed, pointing to her knocked out form on the other side of the room. "She's not going to be happy when she gets up. They didn't like that she was so annoyed and pissy so they... you know..."

I watched as Laurel woke up and yelled. "Laurel, you're fine. This is Davina and she's a good kid that I have decided to host for dinner." Turning to Caroline once more, I ask, "Do you still have your phone? Does anyone have their phone? Shit."

Damon and Stefan are likely freaking out by now. We never get separated, not even for a few hours. Ever since meeting the heretics we... we're just a bit clingy with one another. I don't know why, but I just can't let go of them. Even coming outside for the day was a big step for me. Must be the pregnancy hormones. Seriously, nobody else does this with their mate or mates.

Reaching in my pocket, I figured out that somebody took my phone. Of course they took my phone. "Marcellus, give me back my phone!"

"Yes, yes! No need to yell!" My son called back, handing me my phone once he came back. "You know how these things go, Mom, I had to take your phone so you wouldn't reveal my location."

"The super secret location, right." I laughed. "It's getting revealed right when we get to the house. That's some more punishment for locking your mother up. Seriously, did you really think you could get away with something like that? You find out your mother is undaggered and has a miracle pregnancy and the first thing you do is lock her up? Child, what has gotten in your head?"

Davina let out a fit of giggles as Marcel's face turned red. "I thought I told you I was sorry, Mom."

I shook my head in annoyance before pulling Caroline and Laurel out of the desolate room. And he couldn't even give us nice rooms. I mean, add a bed in for your prisoners. We're immortals, pregnant, and important people. Original vampire and pregnant over here! Caroline may not be an Original but she's pregnant! Ugh.

Smiling as the sun hit my face, I made my way down the streets of New Orleans with Davina, Marcel, Caroline, and Laurel, all of whom looked more than annoyed with the situation. They would have to get along. Marcel is my son and no matter what he does I'll love him with all my heart. Unfortunately Caroline and Laurel don't have that bond with him, meaning they could hate him already. I wouldn't blame them, honestly.
Taking out my phone, I look at all of the messages my mates and my family had left. Most were frantic and some even annoyed. Nik managed to spam angry face emojis, good on him. Stefan and Damon were desperate, sending about five hundred texts each. How long was I out? Shit I was out for like seven hours.

"Only a few more blocks," I mumbled to myself. Turning the corner, I'm met with a very frazzled Nik, of whom I bumped into. "Oh my god Nik I am so sorry-"

"Where were you!" He shouted. I knew it wasn't in anger, but it made me flinch. "We have spent all day looking for you all!" Nik turned to see our son, who had taken quite a few steps back. His eyes shifted from upset to near terror as he was faced with the child he thought had died so many years ago. "You... You're alive..."

Marcel didn't answer, simply sending Nik a glare. Nik didn't avert his gaze as he pulled Caroline into his arms. Caroline groaned as she fell into him.

"You have got a lot of explaining to do, young man," Nik seethed, finally looking at Laurel and I. "I assume you were taken by our son?"

"Precisely, but that isn't what we should be focusing on right now." Nik raised an eyebrow at my words. "Davina here should be meeting with us. I've already arranged for us to have dinner together tonight. Marcel is family and we should be able to sort this out peacefully. He knows I'm opposed to violence."

"And she does this on her own," Nik mutters under his breath, "after almost getting herself murdered."

"I did not almost get myself murdered."

"I would not kill my mother!"

"You two are one in the same," Nik says dramatically. "Did my influence do you no good?"

"Mom was asking the same thing about her influence." Nik growled and began walking down the street. "Look, I'm sorry about taking your mate and my Mom."

"It's going to take a lot more than that to earn my forgiveness. Your mother may be able to forgive like it's nothing but you know how I am. You have one dinner to prove that you haven't given up everything I've taught you, that you haven't ruined yourself beyond repair."