Chapter 6

Our actual day today was quite eventful to say the least. One of my brothers found his mate, I broke free from capture, and I found out that my son is more stubborn than I could have ever imagined. If this boy were anyone else I'd be beating the crap out of him and making sure that he knows his place, but that's child abuse and I'm not my shitty father. I'd never lay a hand on one of my children no matter what they do. That's plain abuse and I know what that feels like. Physical discipline doesn't work, it scares children into doing things. That's not what I want or need.

Now we had to wait for people to get home and for dinner to be served. While we don't actually need food to eat, it does help curb some of the worst cravings for human blood. Plus it also tastes good. I also can't get fat from it no matter how many slices of cake I have. Amazing. Wonderful. The best part of being a vampire for sure.

Currently I was taking some time to sit on the couch with Stefan, who refused to let anyone but Damon anywhere near me. I still couldn't blame his protectiveness. After all, it was him who was becoming a father and Damon is his brother. I'm his mate and losing me even for a short period of time could lead to terrible side effects that may or may not include becoming feral, which wouldn't be good for anyone in the house. There have been very few rippers, but the ones that turn feral are absolutely horrific. Dead bodies everywhere. No witch or vampire can stop them. The most famous case was of this feral ripper girl in the fourteenth century. Thankfully everyone played it off as the Black Death, but it could have gone much better.

Laying down on Stefan's lap, I recognized the clear mating bond between Kol and Davina. My older brother couldn't bring himself to leave her alone, clinging to her for dear life. Right now he was showing her a few magical books that he loves. It's nice to see him like this. Of course magic is what interests him. Even if he isn't a witch anymore, he knows magic better than most of us. Finn will always be the one to know the best, but he's a close second when it comes to book knowledge.

Head rested firmly on my mate's chest and lap, I heard the sound of a bell chiming. Nik I swear it was so quiet until you fucked it all up with that stupid thing you bought.

"Here here!" Nik called out from the kitchen. "Dinner is ready, little children!"

"I hate him sometimes," Damon grumbles, standing up from the armchair right next to Stefan and I he'd previously been sitting in. "When will we get even an ounce of peace and quiet? I'd rather be stuck back in school and that's saying something."

Taking myself off of Stefan's lap, I hear him let out a growl at the separation. It was to be expected, but Davina stepped further away from my annoyed mate. Everyone knows that he's a ripper now if it wasn't obvious before. How he managed to hide it away for so long is beside me. Constantly getting annoyed with the smallest things, clearly hungry, very protective over the people they love. Obvious signs of a ripper. They're more common nowadays than many in the supernatural community would like to think. Less dangerous now that they can control themselves as well.

During all the time that I've spent in this world, which is very long, I've noticed that each subset of a species has their own thing that makes them just plain obvious. They stick out like a sore thumb so to speak. Rippers' emotions are higher than anyone, heretics start using magic much later even if their parents try to teach them from a young age, and now the hybrids (even the very few that left our group to do other things) have a strict social order that's far less forgiving than that of a normal wolf. It's odd how we all work.

Now, the Originals have always stuck out. People know an Original when they see one. We seem to have a different presence altogether. Witches just know from the way our type of magic works. We linger in the shadows, but when we come out everyone knows to run. It's why we were able to survive Mikael, although he almost got us a few times.