Chapter 9: "You'll Never Get Away With This"

Author's note: Credit for this AMAZING fan art goes to tumblr user @icestardragonhc! I couldn't really find a better place to squeeze this in except maybe Chapter 12, but the image in that chapter is also really cool (ha ha, puns... OK, I'll see myself out the door now).
————————————————————————————————————————————

Flash is still doing its job well enough. I could easily see the next cave I walked into.

Shiny and slick walls of black rock hug my sides, creating a small path in front of me. As I move along, I could see divets in the rock face where puddles have gathered. They are, not surprisingly, completely frozen over. I have to be extra mindful about my footfalls, despite my nagging urge to rush forward— and even then, I almost fall once or twice.

The floor is tainted white with frost. The stale air is considerably frigid; perhaps even worse than it is outside. I see my breath billow in front of me like steam, and I could already feel my toes going numb.

This better not take too long, or I'll get frostbite, I thought with a frown. Then again...That'd be the least of my problems.

I continue down the tunnel and approach its destination point. Small, translucent ice crystals dot the ground ahead... And I mean literal crystals. It's unlike anything I've ever seen... Except for the ice walls that had blocked Drayden and I into Opelucid this morning.

The walls, which were so tight before, now expand outwards, branching out into a vast cavern. It's a decently large space— large enough that I can't see if there's a limit to its area. There are larger patches of frost and ice littering the cave floor. More defined and larger ice crystals are scattered here and there. And the cold isn't helped by the gaping opening in the ceiling above. I could see the gathering of gray-black ominous storm clouds. The cold air whips in from outside, only further driving the air temperature downwards.

In the center of it all, almost as if it has been waiting for me, is the legendary monster that I had seen trapped behind the glass merely a short while ago: Kyurem, the legendary Dragon and Ice Pokémon of myths. Despite having no pupils whatsoever, its eyes look downright demonic. A low, constant growl can be heard coming from it: a consistent rumble that would have struck any heart with a sense of dread as to what is to come.

Then, to its right... is Ghetsis. Laughing and giving me an expectant look that says, "So! You dared to come after all!"

Trying to remove my inhibitions amidst my ever-present sense of rising terror, I calmly advance until I stand in front of them, making sure to leave enough room for a battle field if needed.

"All right, Ghetsis. We both know why we're here. Let's resolve this like the adults we are, shall we?" I have to try hard to keep my voice from dripping with sarcasm, trying to remain as diplomatic as possible. I highly doubt we could resolve things peacefully given his track record, but hey, a girl can hope.

Ghetsis, of all things, responds with a cackle. Of course he would.

"I guess I'm supposed to be impressed by your maturity. Adults? Let's face it, sweetheart, you're still nothing more than a kid. A kid with the annoying idea that she is free to get in the way of other people's business." My skin crawls as he dares to utilize a normally affectionate term in such a dripping, sarcastic, and sinister manner. What's worse, that or the insult to my intelligence?

"What the hell do you know?" I nearly hiss, trying to keep my sense of self worth in tact. "I have a pretty damn good reason to get involved if you threaten the safety of the entire planet."