Chapter 18: Now What?

Soft voices murmur back and forth in the quiet, tense air.

"What did they ask you?"

"Just things like, 'What were you doing before the incident? What happened? Can anyone verify?'...Blah, blah, blah." A half hearted yawn. "Don't worry, I didn't lie or anything."

"I wouldn't expect you to."

A pause.

"N... I'm scared."

"How come?"

"Well... What happens now?"

"Ghetsis will be put back behind bars, just as before. There's nothing to be concerned about."

"But I heard the first time it wasn't him they caught. I don't understand it. We were all there. But somehow, it was a doppelgänger..."

"Well, this time we caught him in the act, and there was no one to bail him out. Everything will go back to the way it was. You'll see."

"Arceus, if only it was that simple. No, not really."

"What do you mean?"

"Rosa. She's a new variable to this equation. To us."

"Yes, I know."

Another pause.

"N... I'm scared. I'm so ashamed that I'm not brave anymore."

"What? Why would you say that?"

"I'm scared of the future. Yeah, Ghetsis is locked up, for now. But what if he finds another way to escape? God, I hate this. I never used to be this scared. Even when I went against you and Plasma, I was scared, but not like this."

"I'd say you're still brave. It all depends on how you want to define it."

One hand touches another.

"Really? How so?"

"Well, the fact that after everything you went through... after what we went through... And you're still standing? Still willing to go on with life, whether you're scared or not? I would call that brave."

A single tear falls.

"Damn it N, you always make me feel better, you know that?"

The two hug lovingly.

"We're facing this together now. Remember that. You'll never be alone."

* * *

"This is my gift to you."

A deep voice echoed within my head, its tone dark and merciless. I stood alone in the darkness. I put my hand in front of my face, but I can barely see it. The shadows were all too eager to consume it...

"Kyurem, Glaciate." That calculated command ignited a fiery burst of anger within my soul

Oh, no you don't. Not again! I refuse to repeat history and become a victim to this!

But of course my feet were stuck to the icy floor. Somehow, that was enough to kill all of my bravado. The panic encroached upon me fast once I realized I didn't even have my Pokémon with me.

Suddenly, big, sharp, and long icicles surrounded me, spinning fast. But this time, I swore I could see faces on them, like a Gengar's glare— faces with red eyes and sharp teeth that laughed at me menacingly. A purple fire surrounded them, dancing menacingly within the crystals. I could sense the cold overcoming me as they grew bigger.