Logan shrugged, spending most of his concentration on helping the animals move like usual. "We could arrive anytime between the next few hours or have to spend another night sleeping on the ground. It mostly depends on how the trail treats us." Janus thought he heard the mage mutter something about hating uncertainty, but he wasn't sure, since at that moment Remus started telling the group all about his brand new invention. 

Janus spent the next few minutes drifting between sleep and consciousness (he hadn't gotten very much sleep that night either), listening to the comforting sound of Remus's voice fading into background noise. He barely noticed when Disi snuggled closer into him, not even finding the energy to complain when the dragon let out a freezing-cold sigh. 

His eyelids felt heavier and heavier, and slowly he drifted off into sleep, a dreamless slumber that let noise and movement pass over him like water around a stone. 

---

"We're almost to Map's Valley," called Logan's voice from somewhere far, far away. 

Janus woke with a start, jolting up so suddenly he almost hit his head on the cart wall. Disi scampered off of him, chirping in annoyance at being woken up so suddenly. "We're where?" Janus asked sleepily, rubbing at his blurry eyes and looking around. 

It was sometime in midday, when the sun was high in the sky, a blinding white-gold color that shone peacefully down on the dirt-and-stone path the cart was traveling along. The sky was a shade of robin's egg blue, though mostly disguised by fluffy clouds so perfectly white they could have been painted with a few strokes of an artist's brush. The entire place seemed calm, and when Janus squinted in the distance, he could see a village not far in the distance, all thatched roofs and wooden walkways. 

Emile was still asleep, Janus noticed, and had started leaning against Remy's shoulder; the time traveler gently combing his fingers through the other's honey-brown curls. Remus, now done with his description of his newest invention, was trying to make something out of a few bottle caps and screws while Roman watched intently, interested despite himself. 

Janus smiled faintly at the sight and let out a happy sigh, running his hand along Disi's soft, feathery wings. It felt nice to be around this group of people, especially with his dragon along for the ride. 

"What's Map's Valley?" Janus asked absently, scratching at a curve in Disi's downy feathers. The dragon purred and nuzzled the prince's hand, grinning. "Is it a town?" 

Logan sighed. "More like a village, really. It's small, built by a famous mapmaker named Isaac Rovera. The entire place is over a network of small rivers and creeks, so there are more bridges than the actual road, but it has a very popular marketplace. We'll be able to get new clothes and supplies there, I'm certain of it." 

"Great, ya cursed it," Remy teased. He glanced over his shoulder at Emile, who was still softly sleeping. "We'd better get there before the morning rush. I wonder if they have any caffeine in the marketplace." His glance moved to stare dejectedly at his empty metal bottle. 

Raising an eyebrow, Logan looked behind his shoulder. "I did not curse anything of the sort, I merely expressed one of my certainties." 

Remy rolled his eyes, drumming his fingers on the cart floor. "You know what I mean." 

"I don't, actually." 

Janus stifled a laugh, now scratching behind Disi's ear. "Well, this will be a delightful trip, especially with all of your bickering," he cut in, smirking a little at his own sarcasm. 

"Who knew royalty could be so sassy?" Remy laughed. "Up 'till now, you've been all hushed up. Haven't gotten a chance to see much of your personality, but if this is gonna be what it's like, I think I'd like to get to know ya more." 

"You have an interesting personality, that's for sure," Remus teased from his corner. He was holding a half-assembled... something... in his left hand. His screwdriver was in his right hand, and he only spared Janus a glance with his sparkling emerald eyes before concentrating on whatever he was making. 

Logan suddenly drew the cart to a fast stop. 

Janus looked up, surprised, and drew in a quick breath. 

The village, Map's Valley, was beautiful, though in a simple, strange kind of way. Mountains surrounded the little town on all sides, stretching far up and off into the horizon, almost piercing the sky. Rivers ran in crisscross basket-weaves underneath the village, so bridges had been built of wood across all of them, stripped oaken boards making pathways across the clear water. Each of the houses had little thatched roofs, some needing stilts to be held up. Boats bobbed on the rivers-- apparently, some villagers preferred to use the network of rivers to get from place to place. 

And in the middle of it all was a lit-up marketplace. Stalls had roofs of colorful fabric, tall poles of wood supporting the felt ceilings. Wares of all shapes, colors, and sizes were laid out across counters and tables, each of the vendors proclaiming what they had was the greatest. People hurried across the market, woven baskets in their hands, examining the products for sale, and chatting casually. Lanterns were strung up on the poles, their candles not lit yet, but giving the place a gentle feel of belonging. 

Janus remembered the times that his mother had snuck him away to the marketplace, given him a few coins, and told him to buy whatever he wanted. It felt like living in the palace again, running around the market with a bag of coins. 

Remus and Roman hopped up at the same time, grinning, eyes sparkling. They had obviously been here before, their expressions lighting up with happiness. Even Logan couldn't stop a small smile from crossing his face, gazing out at the bustling market square with admiration. 

"Welcome to the Map's Valley market square."