Chapter 17: Ronan

Start from the beginning

The house is rustic and wooden, decked out with shiny windows and porches and wicker rocking chairs. Sunlight dances across the gabled roof, bouncing off the shingles and catching in the angles of the stone chimney. It looks worn down by time and rough weather, but well-loved.

There's a sign nailed to one of the fence posts — Cat Crossing. I crack a smile. Even though this has been one of the most awkward car rides of my life, and I didn't get to see any bucking broncos, there's something about Floyd's ranch that puts me at ease. It feels like a place that someone could call home. Maybe even someone like me.

I shake that thought away as soon as it enters my mind. There's no point in getting too attached to the ranch. As soon as the summer ends, I'll leave this place for New York, and after everything that has happened this week, I doubt I'll be invited back.

"We're here," Ms. Allen announces, parking next to a red Jeep Wrangler in the driveway. To my right, Becca lets out a relieved sigh. I don't think she appreciated being stuck between Finn and me, but there's no way I was sitting in the middle. It would be like reliving the trauma of economy class all over again.

We pile out of the car and unload our suitcases from the trunk. Becca only has an overnight bag — I get the feeling she didn't plan to stay this long, and dinner wasn't her idea. I'm reminded of our phone call, and how desperate she sounded during her argument with Julia (yes, I heard everything, including the part about me being selfish and manipulative, which stung, even though it's probably true) and Julia's exact words, don't stay here for me. If Becca didn't leave for Finn, then why did she stay to help?

Finn's words tear me from my thoughts. "It looks exactly the same as it did six years ago," he marvels. He climbs slowly up the stone stairs, his gaze bouncing from the horses grazing in the pasture to the yellow flowers blooming in the garden. "I feel like a little kid again."

"You still are a kid," Mrs. Murphy says, but even she can't hide the smile creeping across her cheeks. "It is nice to be back, isn't it?"

"I wonder if it's still here --" Finn drops his suitcase on the steps and sidetracks into the garden, careful to avoid the yellow flowers. He makes his way over to a twisted juniper tree and plunges his hand into one of the hollows. "It is! Behold, my silver dollar collection."

He displays his handful of tarnished coins. I nod appreciatively.

Ms. Allen raises an eyebrow. "Is that where my spare change used to go?"

"Definitely not," Finn says, returning the coins to their secret hiding place. He cracks a grin. "I was inspired by To Kill A Mockingbird. Boo Radley was my favorite character."

The front door swings open, and my first thought is, finally, a genuine cowboy. I've never seen someone pull off denim pants and a denim jacket, but Finn's uncle makes it look effortless. He reminds me of a younger, more freckled John Wayne — if the movie star had coarse black hair and twinkling hazel eyes, the two could pass as twins. "Well, if it isn't my favorite sister-in-law," Floyd says in a booming voice. "And my favorite nephew!"

He pulls Finn and Ms. Allen into a crushing hug, and the pair nearly disappear in the folds of his jean jacket. "It's good to see you again."

"You only have one sister-in-law," Finn says, laughing, "And I'm your only nephew."

"That's why you're both my favorite," Floyd replies. He drops his arms, curiosity dancing across his weathered face. "Who are your two friends?"

"This is Becca and Ronan. We met at summer camp." Finn hesitates slightly before the words summer camp, and Ms. Allen's smile freezes on her face. "It's kind of a long story."