Chapter 16: Andy

Ronan rushes to Finn's side as soon as the SUV leaves the driveway. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? What did she say to you?" His eyes lock on the slip of paper in Finn's hand. "Did she give you something?"

Finn stares at him, uncomprehending. He seems a bit shellshocked. (I don't blame him.) "Uh... what's going on?"

"Which one are you, Leigh or Finn?" When this doesn't get a response, Ronan continues, frustrated, "Okay, tell me something only Finn would know."

"I think... I remember, last year, you hid a thousand dollars in a duffel bag under your bed in case you had to run away from Lightlake." Finn blinks rapidly, like he's waking up from a dream. "We listened to my sister's Walkman together. You said that — "

"I believe you, Finn." Ronan stands there for a moment, his arms hanging awkwardly at his sides. Then he pulls Finn into a tight hug. "I'm glad you're back."

I think I'm beginning to understand how the two became friends.

The porch stairs let out a loud creak, and I tear my gaze away from the driveway. Dolores whips around lightning fast, wielding her pepper spray with expert precision; her expression is so fierce, I see Talia take a step back. "Rachel, I'm warning you — "

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." The police officer emerges from a pair of six-foot-tall banana trees. He grips his hat nervously, looking just as lost as Finn. Becca scowls at him. "I just... well, I suppose I'd better just spit it out. I don't know where I am."

Dolores lowers her pepper spray. "You're in Dusty Valley, officer. And you're also standing on private property without a warrant. Might I see your badge?"

He obliges, pulling a black wallet out of his pocket and displaying his ID. "I'm with the Sheriff's Department in Needles. And, to be honest, I have no idea how I ended up in Dusty Valley. It's at least a two-hour drive outside my county."

"You have my sister to thank for that," Dolores tells him. "Do you remember meeting a woman named Rachel Clairvaux?"

"I — I don't know. I remember driving my usual beat, and then nothing else. I'm sorry." The cop glances around at Dolores' garden, bewildered. "Are you a botanist or something?"

"Before I retired, I was a physician's assistant." Dolores slips the pepper spray into her pocket and takes a deep, steadying breath. "Hold out your hands."

"Hold out my — huh? Why?"

"I'll explain everything in just a moment. But first, I need your hands."

Dolores' tone is so commanding, I almost hold out my hands. The police officer pales. Next to me, Talia tries to stifle her smirk — I bet she's glad not to be on the receiving end of Dolores' ire for once. I didn't think it was possible to be intimidated by a tiny old lady in a bathrobe, but if Dolores turned that glower on me, I'd probably drop dead.

The police officer fidgets with his hat. "You're sure you can help me?"

"I'm the only person who can help you."

He hesitates. "Why do you need my hands?"

"I don't need your hands, I need your permission. Will you let me help you?"

"I just... I just want this to be over. I need things to go back to normal."

"Is that a yes?"

The police officer tucks away his hat and badge, then holds out his hands. "Yes."

Dolores places two fingers in the center of each of his palms. She squeezes her eyes shut and tilts her head up to face the sky, like she's about to say a prayer.