112: Cursed Crouch [Pt.2]

"I'll get Dumbledore if you let me go, Mr. Crouch!" said Harry.He looked furiously around at Krum. "Help me, will you?"

 Looking extremely apprehensive, Krum moved forward andsquatted down next to Mr. Crouch. 

"Just keep him here," said Harry, pulling himself free of Mr.Crouch. "I'll be back with Dumbledore.

""Hurry, von't you?" Krum called after him as Harry and I sprintedaway from the forest and up through the dark grounds. They were deserted; Bagman, Cedric, and Fleur had disappeared. Harry and I toreup the stone steps, me stuffing the cloak inside my robes, through the oak front doors, and off up themarble staircase, toward the second floor. 

Five minutes later we were hurtling toward a stone gargoylestanding halfway along an empty corridor.

 "Can-canary Cream!" I panted at it. The password hadevidently changed, however, for the stone gargoyle did not springto life and jump aside, but stood frozen, glaring at Harrymalevolently.

 "Move!" Harry shouted at it. "C'mon!"

 But nothing at Hogwarts had ever moved just because you shouted at it; I knew it was no good. I looked up and down thedark corridor. Perhaps Dumbledore was in the staffroom? Westarted running as fast as we could toward the staircase — 

"POTTERS!" 

Harry and I skidded to a halt and looked around. Snape had justemerged from the hidden staircase behind the stone gargoyle. Thewall was sliding shut behind him even as he beckoned Harry and me backtoward him.

 "What are you doing here, Potter?" 

"we need to see Professor Dumbledore!" said Harry, running backup the corridor and skidding to a standstill in front of Snape instead. "It's Mr. Crouch . . . he's just turned up . . . he's in the forest . . . he's asking —"

 "What is this rubbish?" said Snape, his black eyes glittering."What are you talking about? Ms. Potter?"

"Sir my brother just told me--"

"Mr. Crouch!" Harry shouted. "From the Ministry! He's ill orsomething — he's in the forest, he wants to see Dumbledore! Justgive us the password up to —" 

"The headmaster is busy, Potter," said Snape, his thin mouthcurling into an unpleasant smile. 

"I've got to tell Dumbledore!" Harry yelled. 

"Didn't you hear me, Potter?" I could tell Snape was thoroughly enjoying himself, denying Harry the thing he wanted when he was so panicky. 

"Look," said Harry angrily, "Crouch isn't right — he's — he'sout of his mind — he says he wants to warn —" 

The stone wall behind Snape slid open. Dumbledore was standing there, wearing long green robes and a mildly curious expression.

 "Is there a problem?" he said, looking between Harry, Me and Snape. 

"Professor!" Harry said, sidestepping Snape before Snape couldspeak, "Mr. Crouch is here — he's down in the forest, he wants tospeak to you!"

 I expected Dumbledore to ask questions, but to my relief,Dumbledore did nothing of the sort. 

"Lead the way," he said promptly, and he swept off along thecorridor behind Harry and me, leaving Snape standing next to the gargoyleand looking twice as ugly. 

"What did Mr. Crouch say, Harry?" said Dumbledore as we walked swiftly down the marble staircase. 

"Said he wants to warn you . . . said he's done somethingterrible . . . he mentioned his son . . . and Bertha Jorkins . . .and — and Voldemort . . . something about Voldemort gettingstronger. . . ."