She only laughed loudly as I left that dark room.

* * * * *

The more steps I took away from that room the clearer my head got. The less intense the smell of her perfume and the feel of her skin.

"Comm link, Octavius." I stated, walking out of Kuzo's into the cool night air.

A craft already descended before me and an armed guard had the door open in less time. I jumped in and dropped my hood.

"Proximo." Octavius answered in my ear. I refused a drink inside the craft as we ascended before reconsidering and swiping it off the guard. "What can I do for you, sir?"

"You can let Kuzo know that his staff will not last long if they keep making so many mistakes."

"I will notify him."

"Good. Now you can let me know if our weapons deliveries made it securely to our new base of operations."

"They did. They are very... advanced." He ventured.

"You expect anything less." I snorted, downing the contents of the glass.

"Of course not–I'm glad I'm working with the people on the right side of these weapons."

"A good answer." I stated flatly. "Make sure Xaphra receives his cut."

"Consider it done, Proximo."

"One last thing."

He waited silently as I watched the city blur past in the fusion craft. "I want you to break the new recruits with me tomorrow. Prepare sufficiently and do not be late." I terminated the comm before he could respond.

I glanced at the guard in red and black armour opposite me who kept his eyes anywhere but directly on me.

"Wilko, correct?"

The guard stiffened briefly before dropping his hood, showing me a shaven head paired with his stubbled jaw. "Yes, sir."

"Drink with me." I ordered, leaning back in my seat and setting my arm along the back. He moved quickly to fill my glass with amber liquid before his own. I smirked darkly at him and clinked it into his with a bit too much force.

He nodded and took a small sip cautiously.

"What sector were you in before your transport change?" I asked.

"Keep guard, sir."

"Ah yes that is where I know your face from." I stated, eyeing him more closely and making him avert his eyes.

"Where exactly were you then. When the rebels lay siege to it?" I asked calmly.

His entire body seemed to go rigid as I watched him. "With the units on the ground–trying to cover the entrance from the ground–"

"Name two you were with." I said slowly. "I will make sure they support your claim." I finished with a lethal smile.

A droplet of sweat left his temple and he gripped a gloved fist against the seat. "I assure you, Proximo I was with–"

I laughed loudly. He flinched back into the seat before me. "Why is it that every person is so fucking bad at lying in this city?"

He remained silent. I swirled the liquid around the tumbler slowly.

"Get out." I said simply.

"Sir?" He asked in confusion.

"Did I stutter? Get out of my craft."

"We're airborne, Sir–"

"Am I fucking blind as well as stuttering?" I growled, opening the door as we moved. A robotic sound pinged warning us of it at such height and speed.

I ignored it and lunged forward, grabbing him by the neck and breathing in his fear. "Either you take your chances with that fall or I send a fusion round through your skull now. Your choice." I snarled.

His breathing accelerated and he flashed his eyes to the city flying past outside. He knew I was never one to bluff. I never had been. He inched over to the edge as the wind rushed by. His whole body was shaking as he inched before it. I drew my gun and levelled it at him when he glanced back. He took the last step over.

I grabbed him by the back of the collar and threw him back inside.

The door closed and I holstered my gun. I pulled my drink back up to my lips and took a long drink.

"Now I know you're loyal. You won't leave your post on guard again will you?"

He started dragging in terrified breaths before nodding rapidly on the floor.

"It will not happen again sir–I'm so sor–"

"Get off the floor and act like my guard not a common beggar."

He flew into the seat in the next moment and swallowed loudly. His entire body was rigid in the seat awaiting my next word.

"Now you can have a proper fucking drink with me, Wilko."