Calm down

Reid

Earlier

    I shut my bedroom door behind me and dropped my bag. I let out a heavy sigh as my back slid against the door until I was sitting on the floor.

    I thought about the feeling of my hand ruffling Nolan's hair just minutes ago, and I noticed my own face lighten up with a small grin.

    He didn't reject my touch... and what was with that smile? He's so cute.

    "Ughhh..." I thumped my forehead against my knees, burying my face in them.

    Nolan told me himself that he wasn't mad, but that didn't keep me from worrying he'd never be comfortable around me again.

    Then I touched him, and he smiled...

    The thought that I might still have a chance with him made my stomach swirl.

    ...Should I go talk to him? I avoided it until now due to the fact that I was scared, embarrassed, and most of all, guilty.

    What would I tell him? That I could never be upset with him? That I was only frustrated with and embarrassed of myself? That I don't want things to end after tonight, even though I don't deserve it?

    I had to say something. Staying quiet would only kill off what little chance I might have left.

    I got up, and though my heart raced a little faster with each step I took, I found myself in front of Nolan's room.

    As I knocked lightly against the wood, the door creaked opened. I peered inside.

    I stepped into the room, my eyes glued to the sleeping Nolan, laying on his side.

    His breathing was quiet, and gentle. The sun's light shone through the window, lightening his dark brown waves, and illuminating his skin.

    Carefully watching my step, I silently made my way to the window and shut the curtains half way, shielding Nolan's face from the bright light.

    Before I knew it, I was gingerly sitting down next to him on his mattress. Nolan simply nuzzled his face into the sheets in response to my dip in the mattress.

    The slow rise and fall of his chest with each breath he took eased my nerves in a way I couldn't explain... it's just him.

    No other person in my life has ever brought me so much peace, and comfort - not like Nolan. Just being around him is... healing.

    I reached forward and laid my hand on top of his, feeling it's warmth.

    Please, God, make this hand mine. Give me another chance.

    Unconsciously, Nolan gripped my hand delicately in his sleep.

    I felt my heart squeeze in my chest.

    ...I'll talk to him later once he's awake.

    I stood up from the bed, the feeling of Nolan's hand still lingered in my fingertips as I left the room. I locked the door behind me, so no one would wake him.

     I turned to find Claire... but I didn't make it very far.

    No sooner did I take a step forward did Griffin open the door to our suite, letting in dozens of people. I felt my stomach drop.

    Before I could process anything, speakers began to blast music, bottles of alcohol were being passed around, and the number of people had doubled.