Chapter 38 ~ I'll Always Be Here

Episode: Season 15 - Inherit the Earth Pt. 5

Yasmin's POV:

After absorbing all the power he had, Jack had now evidently assumed the title of God. It was so strange to think the teenager my dad and uncle had raised was now the most powerful being in the universe.

It almost made me nostalgic to think of how long we'd known each other since this all began.

And now, all of the people in the world were back. Everything was essentially back to normal - the way it should be.

"Way to go. Way to go!" my father congratulated Jack, beaming down on him.

"So... does this mean you're the new... I mean, what do we call you?" Sam stumbled over his words, still in a bit of shock at the turn of events.

"Who cares what we call him? Look, all that matters is he got us back online,"

"Hey, what happened to Amara when Chuck..." mom asked suddenly, her brown eyes flicking over to connect with Jack's baby blue orbs.

"She's with me. We're in...harmony," Jack said with a soft smile lingering on his face.

A feeling of pride washed over me and I couldn't help but smile myself, unbelievably proud of my boyfriend and what he had done to save humanity.

"You gonna come back with us to the Bunker?" Sam asked him.

"What do you mean? Of course he's gonna come back to the Bunker. He's the man with the plan, he's top dog - he can do whatever he wants now! Come on," Dean grinned, waving everyone to follow after him as he turned to head back to the Impala, "You know what? We'll spruce the place up. We'll get some recliners. We'll get you one of those big-screen TVs,"

"Do I get my own big-screen TV?" Roman piped up and I shot him a look.

But all playful remarks and teasing fell silent when Jack spoke up, "Dean, I'm not coming back home. In a way... I'm already there,"

"Where?" Dean asked, his voice stern as he fought through his own confusion at Jack's words.

Jack only replied simply, "Everywhere,"

"So you are...him," mom breathed out, realizing it before the rest of us did.

"I'm me... But I know what you mean," he answered her question with a tiny laugh, sending her a small, soft smile of gratitude for catching on.

"What if we want to see you? You know, or have a beer or whatever?" Sam asked, evidently trying to fight back the hurt although it was clear as a bell in his voice.

I'd been silent this whole time, confusion swirling in my brain before it finally dawned on me what he meant - he was leaving. As in, Jack was never coming back.

"So, you're leaving then? Just like that? You're gonna leave...me?" I questioned, my voice breaking on the last word despite myself.

I tried so hard to keep my emotions in check, not to let the tears fall. Jack's hands were gentle as they cupped my face. But as his blue eyes flicked over to me, the corners of his mouth lifting up in a tiny smile, I felt them well up and begin to spill over.

"I'm around... I'll be in every drop of falling rain, every speck of dust that the wind blows, and in the sand, in the rocks, and the sea..." he told me, his words soft and sweet in the silence as he brushed away my tears with his thumbs.

But it was no use - I could feel my heart breaking in my chest, unable to breathe in that very moment.

"What a time to bail," dad interrupted, despite the hand my mother had on his chest to leave it be, "You got a lot of people counting on you, people with questions. They're gonna need answers,"

"And those answers will be in each of them. Maybe not today, but...someday," Jack turned to face him slightly, never letting go of his gentle hold on me, "People don't need to pray to me or to sacrifice to me. They just need to know that I'm already a part of them and to trust in that. I won't be hands on. Chuck put himself in the story. That was his mistake. But I learned from you and my mother and Castiel that...when people have to be their best...they can be. And that's what to believe in."

His piercing blue gaze locked back on me then and I felt my chest tighten, knowing what was coming.

"I'll always love you, Yasmin," he told me softly before placing a hand over my beating heart, "And I'll always be as close as this."

More tears spilled then as a tiny sob escaped my mouth. But Jack cut me off by pressing his lips to mine. His mouth was soft, warm, and inviting - and I kissed back immediately. Wrapping my arms around his neck, his hands secure on my waist - I knew in my heart that Jack would forever and always be my first love. The one that made all the rest insignificant.

Our lips moved in sync before finally, we broke away. My green gaze opened up into his sapphire-blue orbs and I knew it was time for him to go.

Stepping back, Jack held up a hand then, leaving us with one last, final goodbye before turning down the road. I watched him go, watched his form disappear in a glow of light - I watched until I couldn't anymore. Until finally, I could feel my mother gently pulling me to turn around to face her. It was only then that I buried my face in her chest, the sobs coming once more as she held me tightly, dad's hand stroking my ebony hair gently as he embraced me, too.

Would life ever be the same again after knowing Jack?