Chapter 8 ~ Magic in the Blood

Roman's POV:

That's when it happened.

I don't know how - I thought we were quiet enough. But before we even had a chance to react, we were being wrenched from the shadows by unsavory hands which dumped us unceremoniously in the center of the room. I fell hard on my knees, wincing at the impact as Yasmin groaned beside me. The Winchesters glared daggers at the head vamp who only grinned maliciously in response. After all, this was his game.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the little Winchester brats," the vamp tsked, shaking his head before directing the last sentence towards Sam and Dean, "Should've known you'd bring your litter with you,"

Dean frowned, leaning forward just enough to pull at the ropes tying him down, "Seriously? That's your best line? Gotta say - needs some work,"

The vamp sneered in reply and I could just feel another uncreative remark coming on. Glancing to my right, I noticed Yasmin trying to reach for something in her boot without arousing suspicion. Frowning as my eyes briefly flicked around the room to make sure the coast was clear, I saw her pull the gun out of the depths within her shoe.

"Wha-" I began in a whisper but she shut me up with a hard look, making me fall silent.

The head vamp still hadn't taken notice as she slipped it between us, hiding it. And all the while, Dean was still keeping him talking - buying us time, I realized with a jolt of surprise. In retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have been. We were family, after all.

"-but this time we got you. This time, we win. Starting with your little half-breeds - your wetback kids over there-" the man chuckled, making my blood boil with anger.

It happened then. Quicker than I thought it would and so fast, it managed to surprise me. To this day, I'm not sure just how it happened. Or even what anyone thought. I guess it was instinct, something in the blood.

The other vampire brutes had just reached down, knocking the gun out of Yaz' hands before attempting to pull her to her feet despite her violent struggling when my hand had shot out. The words spilled from my tongue in a rush of anger, precision, and knowledge.

"Phesmatos superous em animi!"

The vampires never stood a chance. In a split second, their knees had hit the cement floor and they were crying out in agony, holding their heads as jolts of excruciating pain coursed through their bodies like lightning in their veins. Yasmin glanced over at me with wide emerald eyes as trickles of dark, crimson blood began to pour from their noses. I didn't even know what I was doing - not until a hand on my shoulder brought me back to reality.

I gasped, shaken out of my reverie, as I gazed upward into familiar hazel-brown orbs. Sam.

Glancing down at his hand, I noticed rope burns there across his wrist - him and Dean must have cut themselves free in the commotion.

But I didn't have a chance to dwell on it further as everything began to get dark. I could feel myself growing weaker...

"Roman, just hold on, okay?" Sam was saying as my vision dimmed.

The next events happened in blurry flashes - Dean and Sam chopping off the heads of some of the vamps, Yasmin slashing the ropes that bound our mother to the chair... Somewhere far away, I realized someone had picked me up as we hurriedly made our exit out of that wretched place.

A sliver of moonlight streamed in through the back window of the Impala as someone lied me down on the backseat quickly before I heard the engine rev up.

"Drive, Sam, drive!" Yasmin shouted from the passenger seat as doors slammed shut.

The last thing I saw was the unconscious form of my mother being held by Dean as he shuffled in beside me, her head lying limp on his chest before everything went totally dark.

Note: Been waaaay too long since I last updated, I know! I'm so sorry about that - holidays had me busy all last month but for the new year, I promise to do better and update more often! ^_^ But I hoped you enjoy the new chapter! Also, the next chapters are going to be in Parker's POV for a while. But I'll likely be switching around POVs for certain chapters in the future, just so ya'll are aware of that haha :)