Prologue

The stars burned bright in the night sky, like tiny neon signs lighting the way of the beat-up little car on the side of the road surrounded by a copse of trees. It was beautiful - peaceful. Or...maybe it was for those who didn't know what lurked out here in these woods. Vampires, werewolves, spirits - all the scary stories you'd been told as a kid. In these woods? They were real. They all were real.

I'd grown up my entire life knowing about it all - my father was a hunter, my mother too for a time. That was before she had us though - me and my dorky little brother, Roman. Or as I still referred to him - Romy. He insisted it was a name for a baby but that didn't change my mind.

But even though we were taught all the lore, not unlike a lot of other hunter kids our age, we didn't grow up in it. Mom saw to that - she always said she didn't want us to be the next generation of our father's name to be in that line of work. She said kids didn't need to be brought into it. Even though I always insisted I wasn't a child anymore at 16.

But that was before our lives changed, that was before she was taken on a hunt. Ordinarily, she would never have left but whatever it was had been attacking our town. Until she killed it, it wasn't safe - for any of us. The neighbors and police alike couldn't figure it out - who would want to kidnap the manager of a comic book store? Their own ignorance, I suppose, was not to be blamed since they weren't hunters. Not that we knew any better of just who took her. Or rather, what.

They'd left one note behind to tell us of what happened to our mom, to even know if she was still breathing:

Darkness is stirring once again, the foul creatures of the past are coming out to play. Find her where it all began or she may never see the light of day...

Maybe that was how we found ourselves here, maybe that was why we weren't surprised when the heavy iron door creaked open revealing two sets of faces, not very unlike our own. My green eyes glanced between the two older men standing just inside - a blond and a brunette, light trickling out from the run-down building wedged into the side of a hill.

"Are you Sam and Dean Winchester?" I asked, voice steady as my eyes flicked over their confused faces.

They shared a look in a way only brothers could before the shorter of the two, the blond, nodded in response before inquiring in a gruff manner, "Whose asking?"

"My name's Yasmin Winchester and this is my little brother, Roman. Our mom's on a hunting trip and she hasn't been home in a few days."