Chapter THIRTY NINE

Start from the beginning

Why is Darby doing this?!.. You've almost finished building his insane devices.. What could he gain from this?..

"No, that can't be--"

"Its gunna be alright baby, Im gunna sort it out.. But right now, I need you to go with Ivanov.. I promise you'll be safe with him.."

You don't want him to leave.. "No, Axe wait!.."

You cling to his shirt, feeling like you might never see youe sister, Ace, or maybe even Hunter ever again.. The fear is crippling.. Consuming.. A paralysing terror that coils around your waist and constricts your breath.. "I can't lose you too.. Promise me.. Promise you'll come back.."

He leans down, pressing a warm, heavy kiss on your lips.. It only lasts a few seconds..

But its like sunshine.. Starlight.. Moonbeams..

The sweetness of his kiss hanging on your lips..

"I promise, baby.." With those confident words, he spins around and strides out the door..

"Oh.. Uh.." Your world tilts.. The floor drops out from beneath your feet and you crumple, sinking to the floor.. Its as though all the oxygen has been vacuumed from the room..

You try to breathe, but you can't take anything in.. Shallow huffs soon turn your vision white and spotty as your chest begins to burn painfully..

"Kriby! You are having panik-attak, here.. Lizten.." Konstantin lifts you up, cradling your shivering form in his burly arms.. You can hear the melodic thud of his heartbeat as your cheek presses to his chest, keeping you close as he carries you downstairs, his deep Russian accent continues to rumble, reverberating in your ears to bounce around your aching skull.. "You are safe, in the prezent.."

You nod, trying to take in the meaning of his words.. but they do nothing to calm you..

"No, you zay it, little one.." He coos gently..

You repeat his words through shaking breaths.. "I.. am.. safe, and present.."

He nods, keeping his voice low abd his tone soothing.. "Good.. You are calm.."

You suck in a little more air, now outside, as you focus on the three word mantras.. You can feel your rapid, irregular heartbeat beginning to slow in your throat.. "I.. am.. calm.."

He reaches what must be his car, a surprisingly understated black sedan.. He places you on your feet and steadys you, taking you by both shoulders, looking you right in the eye.. "You are ztrong.."

You nod again, finally taking a deep, restorative breath.. "I.. am strong.."

He squeezes your shoulders.. "You are like tiny little shark, Kirby.. You muzt keep moving forward.. You zee?.."

You nod emphatically, feeling somewhat bolstered by his unusual analogy and odd pep-talk.. "Yeah.. Yes.. I'm a god damned shark!"

You cant believe how well that worked.. What the hell did he just do?.. It was like Jedi mind magic!..

"Feel better?.." He opens the passanger door for you and you climb inside..

"Very much... How did you do that Konstantin?.." You smile at him in amazement before he closes the door and jogs around to get into the drivers seat..

"It iz zimple mindfulnezz, Kirby.. Your fearz, they --ah, unhook? -- no --" He searches for the right word.. Snapping his fingers when it comes to him..
"--Detach! -- Your fearz, they detach you from reality.. You muzt centre yourzelf to overcome thiz.. Prezence of mind iz ezzential.."