Let Your Heart Be Light

Also posted in "Their Future"

TW: a brief description of a panic attack and mention of miscarriage and depression

Christmas 2027

Another year, another Christmas at the Lighthouse. 

The children all played together, and the parents sat together in the common area, discussing their year and reuniting. After everything they've been through together, they were happy that they finally made it to a time where they didn't feel like the world was going to end.

This year was a special Christmas. This was little Eleanor Mackenzie Johnson's, who was now ten months old, first Christmas. 

Eleanor's birth was a special one because she was the tenth child born into the family as well as, and most likely, the last child to be born in the family as all the parents have made it clear that they were done. It was also a crazy year for the families.

Ellie had complications when she was born. Her heart rate was abnormal, causing her to not get enough oxygen when she was born. The doctors believed that this could cause serious brain damage to her. She also had some umbilical cord complications that also disrupted her blood as well as her growth, especially in her lungs. She came out smaller than most babies at full term, just barely making it to five pounds. Eleanor had to stay in the NICU for a couple of weeks before her parents could take her home. Even after that, Daisy and Daniel took precautions by waiting another week before any of the team members could meet her. Thankfully, at three weeks old, baby Ellie was able to meet the rest of her family. Doctors told her parents that she may have complications as she got older, but right now, she was a happy baby.

Once again, the Johnson family was the last family to arrive at the Lighthouse; however, it was due to having a new baby rather than coming back from a space mission this time around. They put their stuff in their rooms before meeting their family in the common room.

Michael and Lillianne joined all their cousins as Daisy and Daniel, with Ellie in his arms, went over to join the adults.

"Oh, let me see my little goddaughter!" Elena exclaimed upon seeing the baby in Daniel's arms. Daniel passed her to Yoyo, and Eleanor smiled as she was now in her Auntie 'Lena's arms. "Oh look how much you've grown, little one!"

"17 pounds, 4 ounces now," Daniel said.

"You're gonna have to stop growing, Ellie," Mack said, softly putting the back of his hand against her cheek. "Next thing, you'll be Alya's age."

"God, I hope not," Daisy said, greeting Mack with a hug and kissing her daughter's cheek. "I want her to stay little forever. I swear, it's like the twins are six going on sixteen."

"1st grade that different from kindergarten?" Mack asked.

Daisy nodded. "Apparently. Mikey's already moved to calling us mom and dad instead of momma, mommy, dada, or daddy."

"Lilly still calls us that though," Daniel added. "She seems to be not in such a rush to grow up like Michael."

"Oh, dear," Elena said. "I hope Francisco doesn't try to grow up too fast. He only just started kindergarten this year."

"He's your guys' kid. I'm sure he'll be just fine," Daisy added. "How is he doing anyway? I know he's one of, if not the youngest in his grade."

"He's actually doing really well," Mack answered. "Parent-teacher conferences were just recently, and his teacher said that he was one of the top students of his class."