[𝟹𝟹] back to the game

Hero

"Apparently, Knox has filed some complaint against you. He claims you were onto him over a girl?" Fred Martinez is a ruthless leader on the field so him putting so much trust in me to lead practices alone is a privilege alone.

"That's not exactly what happened. He's disrespectful towards -" I start to explain but he hit the table loudly and I try not to react.

"It's still a girl. You know once those fists hit someone in the face on school grounds, it is a solid ground for suspension. Which will lead to you being off the game. Nobody fucking wants that."

He stares at me like waiting for me to say something. "I thought you were better than this. You put yourself and your future over the line over some girl?"

It wasn't just some girl, I answer in my head.

His face turns a beet red and I don't attempt to speak anymore. It's written in the rules and regulations of the football team that any disagreement should be sorted out of school grounds or else suspension and expulsion awaits. Depending on the gravity of the situation.

I didn't realize the damage I've done when I see the report myself. Knox suffered from a broken jaw and a broken nose which needed surgery. And a couple of large bruises on the body. Knox walked out of the team and intended to press charges against me.

"A legal charge against you, if proven guilty is going to cut your scholarships, Tiffin. Any college who would want to take you in because of your stellar gameplay? Those will disappear for good. I wish you thought long and hard about what you did."

I run both of my hands on my face, completely stressed out about the information I found out. But to be completely honest, I don't regret hitting that bastard's face one bit.

"I'm still trying to convince Finley to retract the complaint against you but one thing he told me is he's willing to talk it out."

The voice of the devil looms over my shoulder asking me to take the opportunity and beat the shit out of him again.

But then the rational part of me wanted to talk to him and find out what he wants just so he'll drop the future charges he wants on me. I never really cared about going to college until now. Until I saw in Josephine's eyes that she's excited for the future. That made me realize I want what she wants to. I want to do it with her.

"Until we get the finality of the complaint from Finley, you're still playing the game in the Interschool competition. I strongly advice for you to talk to him, apologize for what you've done and maybe he'll drop everything."

The word "apologize" is ringing in my ears like some parasite. I don't even know if I can look at his face after what he did but I should think about the next steps I should do.

I nod at Coach Martinez and pull the strap of my bag tighter against my shoulder. Practice is not until 2pm which is around third period. Now I will have to endure second period with Josephine and try to put on a happy face.

--

I feel like time has been dragging excruciatingly slow this day. I fiddle the pen with my fingers and space out most of the class. Josephine, thankfully, is not in her seat. She's out with her team organizing upcoming school activities. It's like I wanted to see her face but I don't know how I will react after what Coach and I talked about.  I want to make sure she doesn't get a whiff of information about the looming charges. I don't want to burden her with it but I really want her not talking to Knox about it.

We still haven't had the opportunity to sit down and just talk about Knox, in particular but I hope I conveyed the message that she can't ever talk to him anymore.