chapter seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Are you blaming Jungkook like Jimin is?"

"No. It's no one's fault." I brought the comforter up over my arm. "Stuff like this happens."

Namjoon reached forward and tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. "The doctors said it'll probably scar."

I thought of the crescent-shaped scar on my back. When I saw it in the mirror's reflection, I was reminded of my father's loss. I was reminded of my responsibility to take care of Leo, to be more than just a sister to him. My promise meant I was to be Leo's rock, his parent, his best friend, and so much more.

"Scars aren't bad," I said, shrugging. "There's lessons to be learned from them."

He raised a dark eyebrow. "And what did we learn from this one? To not let Jungkook pick anyone up, unless we want to test how fast we can get to the nearest hospital?"

"Oh, stop teasing him. I'm sure he feels awful."

"He does - he told me to text him as soon as you're awake and let him know everything is okay."

As Namjoon typed away on his phone screen, I leaned over for my own phone. Unlocking it, I checked my three unread messages.

Leo: Kook dropped you on your HEAD!? At least now we have a reason on why you're so weird. By the way, can you make cinnamon rolls when you're back? I've been craving them like no other and you know Cinnabon gives me indigestion.

Hanna: Taehyung managed to lock Jimin in his bathroom. I can still hear him yelling right now...it's been almost an hour. Send help ASAP lol. Jungkook wants to see you too, but Jin and I convinced him to let you be. Get well, rest up, and enjoy the alone time with Namjoon ;) I'll see you in the morning!

And Mikka, ever so caring, just said: It's a good thing our healthcare insurance covers international expenses.

My gaze snagged on the last bit of Hanna's text. "'See you in the morning?'" I read out loud, furrowing my brows. "Namjoon, what time it is?"

"Almost two in the morning. Why?"

I looked over towards the windows. Through the gaps between the curtains, I gathered glimpses of a dark sky and sleepy, shimmering city lights.

A knot of disappointment twisted in my chest. "We were supposed to have a date tonight."

"Jagi, we can go tomorrow." Namjoon's thumb brushed against my temple, bringing my attention back to him. "Tonight or tomorrow doesn't make a difference to me."

Jagi. "What does that mean?"

"It means I just want to spend time with you," Namjoon said. "This could be our date, and I would still be happy."

Suddenly flustered, I said, "W-well, that's nice." Blushing, I cleared my throat. "But that's not what I meant. What does jagi mean?"

Now Namjoon's cheeks reddened. "Out of all the Korean words I've said, you had to pick up on that one?"

"If you won't tell me, I'm sure Jimin will -"

"No, no. It's fine." Namjoon gently tugged on my good arm, and I dropped my phone on the bed. Lowering his voice, he mumbled, "It means 'baby'."

I bit the edge of my bottom lip to keep a giddy smile from appearing on my face. Hearing him call me 'baby' brought butterflies to my stomach, which made me feel like such a sap. Then again, I didn't mind being the world's biggest sap if it meant I got to see Namjoon's  embarrassed dimples for just a second longer.

"Is - is that okay?" Namjoon asked. "I know we said no labels, so I'm not sure if jagi is okay or not..."

My fingers intertwined with his. "It's more than okay. I'm just not really the person to say 'baby' back."