chapter fifteen

And sing slow it down
Through chaos as it swirls
It's us against the world

Us Against the World - Coldplay

----

Shit.

I couldn't think. Couldn't move. All I could do was stare at the incriminating evidence on Namjoon's phone that was live for hundreds of thousands to see.

Jin had told me a blind person could see the connection between Namjoon and I. I hadn't known what he had meant then, but I knew now. There was no mistaking the familiarity in my body language as I leaned over Namjoon's chair, arms wrapped tight around his shoulders. My fingers curled slightly into his shirt. Even my mouth - though frozen in shock - hovered close to Namjoon's cheek.

Shit, shit, shit.

What was I supposed to do? Laugh? Walk away without an explanation? Start speaking in what little French I could remember?

And just as Namjoon broke into an uneasy smile, the door opened behind us. Shouts and laughter erupted as Jimin, Jin, and Hoseok flooded into the room, ambushing us.

"What the -" I started, jumping up. What was about to be a very healthy curse from my mouth was drowned by Jimin's high-pitched squeal as he launched onto my back.

Namjoon shouted as Hoseok leapt onto the chair with him. They swiveled around, Hoseok laughing gleefully while Namjoon stared at him in confusion, knuckles bone-white as he clutched the armrest.

Jin skipped towards me. "Lyra!" he sang, dragging out the 'a'.

Still dangling on my back, Jimin leaned around and nuzzled his nose into my cheek. Meanwhile, Jin swatted at my hair, causing the dark strands to fly across my forehead and nose. I huffed out a breath, clearing away the curls in time to see Jin grasp Namjoon's head in both hands and shake it.

Why are they acting like a bunch of baboons?

"Aish!" Namjoon swore, shoving Hoseok off him.

I repositioned Jimin on my back as Jin spoke to the camera in Korean. Namjoon was still preoccupied with Hoseok, who clung to Namjoon's sweatshirt sleeve on the floor the way a child clings to their mother's leg.

Jimin pointed towards the door. "To infinity, and beyond!"

I was confused as all hell, but carrying Jimin out of the room was better than standing like a deer in headlights. I sent Namjoon a baffled look before leading Jimin from the studio, his feet dragging on the floor.

As soon as the door shut behind us, Jimin slid off me. He pulled me away from Namjoon's studio and deeper into the dimly lit hallway. Jin followed us, while Hoseok remained behind with Namjoon and the V Live.

"What the hell was that about?" I hissed, crossing my arms over my chest.

Jin's incredulous expression mirrored mine. "You tell us!"

"What do you mean?"

"You were one second away from kissing him, weren't you?" Jin asked.

Over his shoulder, Jimin puckered his lips and made kissy faces at me. I stuck my tongue out in return. But one look at Jin's stern frown and my playfulness slipped away.

"No one told me he was on V Live," I grumbled. "All Yoongi said was Namjoon was in his studio. How was I supposed to know he was streaming?"

Jin shook his head. "We're almost always streaming, Lyra."