Chapter Fourteen

Anastasia's POV

I returned to Hogwarts for my son's third year, but I wasn't entirely sure why I was here anymore. I'd just gotten used to it again. I was making friends with other new professors and regularly spent time with Cindy, because there were an endless amount of stories for her to hear. And I liked being near my son now that I was actually seeing him clearly even if he avoided me at all costs.

But then I saw Draco from down the hall and the poisonous feeling in my stomach made me regret my decision. The corridor was empty and he walked straight in my direction.

His hand reached out to caress my cheek and I stopped it. "Draco..."

"What's wrong?"

"I... I don't know if I can."

"What are you talking about?"

"I've been thinking. When I first came back to Hogwarts you said that I was the reason my life fell apart."

"I didn't mea-"

"No, stop. We both know you were right. I let everything go to shit. These past two summers I've gone home and watched my husband and son playing and I've even joined them a few times and I realize... eleven years, Draco. Eleven years of my son's life that I wasn't even there for."

"So make up for it now. I don't understand your point."

"That's just it. I want to. I want to actually be there and I can't do that if I'm still hung up on a boy who doesn't love me."

"What?"

"I want to work things out with Castion and I need this thing between you and I to be over in order to do that."

Draco's POV

"What the hell are you talking about? You just got me back and now you're ending it? You hate Castion." My palms began to sweat and my jaw clenched.

"I focused all of my pain on him. He didn't force me to marry him. My parents did. He was a kid too and he's not anymore, Draco. You should see him with Dorian. And he's not the reason I lost you..."

"We've moved on from that. We're together again. We're meant to be, you said it yourself."

"I said it two years ago. You still held my heart and you took advantage of that. But this isn't love, Draco."

"You think I don't love you?"

"You don't," she shook her head, smiling sadly. How could she be so calm when she was breaking us apart?

"Fine then! You believe that! Leave again and don't come crying to me when you realize that Castion will never replace me!" I marched off and out the door.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I was cheating on my wife for her and she questioned my feelings. Everything had happened the way that it was supposed to. We had our children and we learned our lessons and now we were back together just like we were supposed to be. It was perfect.

Just then, I heard a buzz by my ear and whipped around to see a bumblebee flying past me. I grumbled, walking after it and then inhaled when it landed on a tree stump. Not just any tree stump. The chopped remains of the same tree where I had held a wand up to Anastasia's throat.

Oh, I thought. I hear you, bumblebee. Even from the grave she just had to remind me: I had always been the toxic one. That was what made that beautiful princess so absolutely perfect. She put up with me. She loved me through it. She had done it for so long that I forgot that I was still my father's son.

Making the choice to abandon her wasn't just the stupid decision of a broken teenage boy. It was the power move of a scheming wizard. She still loved me, she missed me and I had all of the control. If I left her then I could never lose her.

I had a second chance now and I messed it up. She was right. I should know by now that she always was. And she didn't need me anymore, but she'd already reminded me why I didn't ever want to live without her. Now, I supposed I had to. I needed to stop ruining her life.