14: An Unexpected Visitor

Start from the beginning

Riddle opened his eyes and sat up. "Sofia!"

She hurried and turned around, pretending she was just leaving the room.

He threw off the covers and got out of bed. He wore grey pajama bottoms but no shirt. Her eyes drifted to his chest and she looked down, feeling her face go red. When Sofia looked up he had his hands on his hips looking her up and down confused. He was probably wondering how she got out of her room. Before he could say anything, she fell to my knees before him, hating herself in the process.

"Please... master. Let me out of the room? I humbly apologize for my behavior at the castle and have learned my lesson." She said.

Sofia dared look up as he scrunched his nose at her. "I suppose you do need a shower. Fine."

She stood up, trying to hide her grin until he started to undress. She watched him, unable to take her eyes off him.

Riddle frowned and put on a shirt. "You going to go get that shower or do you just enjoy watching me undress?"

Sofia rushed back into her room feeling her face go red again. She closed the door and thought she saw a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. She waited to make sure he was up and out the door before gathering her things and headed out. Sofia took a long shower, letting the hot water wash over her. It was the best feeling in the world.

Sofia thought of wandless magic and decided to practice when no one was around. She went down to breakfast in the Great Hall and found James, Sirius, and Lupin at the table together. It was odd, seeing them seated at what normally would be the Slytherin table. Lupin looked pale and tired, his head rested on the table as the others ate.

Sofia stood wondering to join them or not. Did they know about Peter? Maybe they hated her now.

"Morning sunshine. Where have you been? Have a seat." James said.

Sofia smiled and sat next to him. "Is he okay? He looks like he needs to go to the nurse."

No one seemed to know what to say and the heaviness of silence filled the air.

Lupin lifted his head with a frown. "I'm going to have to go to the dark forest tonight."

"That's not safe enough," James said.

"Well, what are we going to do then? We don't have Peter to help with the Whomping Willow and we're out of time." Sirius said.

Peter Pettigrew. The name itself brought silence again. Sofia nibbled on some toast, wondering if they knew he was dead or not.

"Well, Peter's gone and the dark forest isn't secure enough. There has to be another option." James said.

She wasn't sure why they needed to secure a safe place for Lupin but Sofia decided to help anyway. "I know a place. I mean it's safe and secure."

They all looked at her surprised. "Just follow me after breakfast."

After they all ate, Sofia led them to the seventh floor. "Think of what you need exactly and a room will appear. It's called the Room of Requirement."

"How'd you know this place was here? I've only heard rumors about it." James asked.

"How much do you know about Albus Dumbledore?" Sofia asked.

"Professor Ariana Dumbledore's older brother? There was an article in the paper before she started working here. He went missing a while back. No one has seen him since, big mystery. Why?" Sirius asked.

"I had this weird dream where he appeared and showed me the exact location," Sofia said.

"Are you sure it works?" Sirius asked.

"Yeah, I already tested it. Go ahead." Sofia said.

Lupin turned to the door. "We need a place..."

"Wait." Sirius interrupted.

Everyone looked at Sirius. He gestured to Sofia as he spoke. "We don't know her well enough. Sorry but you have to leave."

"She showed us this room, I'm sure she can be trusted," James said.

"She works for Riddle," Sirius argued.

"Uh, objection. Not of my own free will, I don't." Sofia said.

"Which is why we can't trust you," Sirius argued again.

Sofia folded my arms defensively. "Would you like me to make the unbreakable vow?"

"That would be helpful," Sirius said.

All Sofia could do was stare at him with her mouth open. James was about to speak up until Lupin put an end to the argument. "We need a soundproof room strong enough to hold a werewolf."

Sirius sighed, "I guess we're trusting her."

Sofia looked over at Lupin, who looked wearier than before. He gave her a tired smile. Now everything made sense. "You have my word I won't say anything."

He nodded as a large stone door appeared. Lupin went inside as the others followed him.

James put a hand on Sofia's shoulder. "Don't come looking for us, understand?"

"Yeah,"  She said. "Wait, are you all going in there with him?"

James winked at her before closing the door. "Don't worry. We're professionals. Don't try this at home."

Sofia laughed watching the stone door vanish.

She went back to her room and made sure no one was around. Sofia remembered the spell, put her hand on the door, and began practicing. If she got out last night, then the spell definitely works.

"Colloportus," Sofia said. The locking spell didn't work. This was harder than she thought. Sofia tried again throughout the rest of the week with no success. Finally, the door clicked. It was the loveliest sound she had ever heard.

Sofia had to make sure. She placed her palm on the door and focused. "Alohomora." The door clicked open. Well, that's two spells down.

That night, Sofia had another strange dream. Her brother stood at the end of her bed. He didn't see her but turned and rushed out of the room.

"Newt!" Sofia called. She ran after him, rushing to keep up as he seemed to always be just out of reach. She ran down the stairs and out of the castle. He looked over his shoulder when she called to him but never made eye contact.

Sofia followed him through several buildings where he stopped in an empty room. He stood motionless in front of a glowing door. He opened it and finally made eye contact with her. "Let's go home, little sister."

He stepped through and on the other side he stood waiting for her. He wasn't alone. Sofia's parents were there and all her friends from her timeline. They all beaconed her to them, pleading with her to join them.

Dumbledore's warning made her hesitate. Be careful about what doors you choose to go through Sofia.

Sofia's chin quivered as tears threatened to spill over, "I'm sorry. I can't."

They all looked confused and disappointed. Newt's gaze was expressionless as the door slammed shut making her jump.

Sofia woke up on a cold floor, realizing she had been sleepwalking again. The dream lingered because she could still hear her friends and family whispering to her. Sofia groaned, wondering if this was going to become a habit. She didn't remember having this problem as a kid. Seeing her brother's face again, even in a dream made her smile. She rubbed her eyes getting up.

Sofia froze, looking from the floor to the ceiling, and nearly fainted at the sight before her. How? How was this even possible? How did she get here? She never took the Apparition class.

She was in the department of mysteries. Only a foot in front of her was the veil.

Sofia almost had walked into it.