13: Secrets Of The Past

Sofia stared wide-eyed at Grindelwald. Not only was he not in prison, but he was also somehow ruler of this new timeline? What made everyone support him? Did he take over by force? Where was Albus Dumbledore in all this? Were Grindelwald and Riddle working together to cause the timeline alterations? If so, this changed everything.

Grindelwald spoke, snapping Sofia out of her thoughts.

"Riddle, It's been a while," Grindelwald greeted from his throne. He eyed Sofia for a moment before getting up and descending a small set of stairs, stopping in front of Riddle.

"I assume you are here because of the matter we discussed before?" Grindelwald asked.

"No sir, I'm here on another grim matter," Riddle said.

"What is it?" Grindelwald asked.

Sofia looked over at Riddle who reported the tragedy with ease.

"Everyone in the Pit is dead," Riddle said.

Grindelwald paused, looking at Riddle with a mix of curiosity and surprise. "What happened?"

Sofia raised her eyebrows at Grindelwald's calm demeanor.

"My servant here was the only witness," Riddle said.

Servant? Sofia frowned but remained silent.

Grindelwald's gaze turned to Sofia looking her up and down. She looked down at the floor, uncomfortable with the scrutiny. He took her by the chin, forcing her to look at him.

"Show me," Grindelwald commanded.

Sofia felt him delve into her memories easier than a knife slicing through soft butter. She wanted to push him out of her mind but doubted her skill matched anywhere close to his. Grindelwald took no notice of her discomfort nor cared as he forced his way deeper into her mind. He saw her arrival, Merrick's ultimatum, and how he killed everyone but her. After a few minutes, he let her go. He walked back to his throne and sat down. The room was quiet for a minute.

Sofia whimpered and stumbled back a few steps. She glared at Grindelwald, grateful he was out of her head.

"Should we send the girl out of the room?" Grindelwald asked.

Riddle looked Sofia up and down and back at Grindelwald, "No need. If she talks I'll kill her."

Sofia rolled her eyes.

"This Merrick seems to know you, Riddle. How is that? Did you encounter him in your past?" Grindelwald asked.

Tom seemed to think a moment, "No sir, I doubt Merrick was responsible for the incident with my parents as a boy."

Sofia's curiosity piqued at the mention of Riddle's parents. Did Riddle do something to Merrick in the past without realizing it? Could Merrick be a time traveler too?

"Do you want me to start searching for this Merrick?" Riddle asked.

"No," Grindelwald said.

Riddle remained quiet, his expression was inscrutable.

Grindelwald put both hands on Riddle's shoulders. "I know you want to go after him, but you need to go back to Hogwarts. The mission I gave you is more important than ever. Continue to keep an eye on our so-called companion. They might be working together."

"What about Merrick?" Riddle asked.

"I'll have every available witch and wizard looking for him. I'll keep you up to date if we find him." Grindelwald said.

Riddle nodded.

Grindelwald turned and sat back on his throne. "You may leave."

Riddle grabbed Sofia by the neck again, forcing her to bow to Grindelwald. She grumbled to herself, but at least she had been expecting it this time. Riddle stood up and walked quickly out of the room with Sofia in tow.

The carriage arrived and Riddle moved to climb inside.

"Wait! Will you wait a moment?" Sofia called out, throwing her hands in the air.

Riddle turned, waiting for Sofia to speak.

"Quite the cozy pair you two make," Sofia said.

Riddle walked towards her, "What's bothering you the most Sofia? Is it that every one of your questions leads to a dead-end or that you need answers only I can give?"

Sofia's face twisted in anger as she took a few steps towards Riddle. Her hands clenched into fists as her voice rose in pitch, "Yet you tell Grindelwald everything? He used to be a prisoner where I come from, a pathetic nobody that everyone forgot about! How could you lose interest in Merrick so fast? He's obviously connected to you! He wanted you dead or did you forget that already? What did you do to him anyway?"

Riddle smirked at Sofia, taking out his wand.

"I don't tell the help my secrets," Riddle said.

"Go to hell! I'm not your servant you pompous ass!" Sofia shouted.

"No?" Riddle waved his wand at Sofia.

She could feel her free will drain as her body moved on its own. Sofia grunted in pain as she dropped to the cement on her hands and knees. Her eyes widened as she tried with everything she had to move and fail. Beads of sweat appeared on her forehead as she felt her face lower itself towards his feet. To her disgust, she was unable to stop herself from kissing his boots. She lifted her head as she stayed frozen on her knees before him.

Riddle crouched down, leaning his face close to hers. She heard a harsh single laugh as he grabbed a handful of her hair and pulled it back causing her to cry out. "You're quite feisty for a servant, you know that? I would have killed most people for that arrogance. Yet, it's almost endearing coming from you... almost. Don't push it Sofia. Everything you do is because I allow it. Every time you take a breath is because I permit it. Every meal you eat is due to my generosity. You better start being a little more grateful because I can make your existence a lot less enjoyable. Do you understand me?"

Riddle let go of Sofia's hair and with the spell broken as well, she gasped and drew away. She managed a nod, careful to not increase his wrath any further. Riddle grabbed her chin, forcing her to look at him. He leaned in closer, as she felt his hot breath on her face. His lips brushed against hers as his tongue traced along her bottom lip.

He drew away with a sneer. "Any other master would have found another use for you. You're not exactly unpleasant to look at Sofia. Should I find another use for you as well?"

Riddle stood up, having lost interest as Sofia collapsed on the ground, her heart racing.

Riddle climbed back into the carriage, "Well let's go. We need to be back in time for school tomorrow morning."

Sofia got off the ground, hugging herself, and climbed into the carriage next to Riddle. She managed to glance in his direction as he returned her gaze with an arrogant expression.

"By the way, Grindelwald knows only what I allow him to know. Nothing further." Riddle said.

Sofia jerked her head away from Riddle and looked out the window as the carriage took off with a jolt. Sofia released a shaky breath and put both hands between her knees so he wouldn't see her shaking.

If Merrick was working with someone at Hogwarts, could she have an ally? He could even help her change back the timeline. For the first time since she arrived, Sofia felt hope.

There might even be a way to save her brother as well.