17: Home Is Where The Heart Is, Part 1

June 30th, 1939

Tom Riddle slept most of the way back from Hogwarts. A tap on the shoulder let him know they were in London again.

Riddle looked up at Abraxas Malfoy and nodded once.

"See you in 2nd year Riddle," Malfoy said.

"Bye," Riddle said.

Riddle poked his head out and looked around the platform.  Families scattered after picking up their children. His parents were absent, but he had already been told someone would pick him up. He sighed, half hoping he would be wrong.

Rain poured down outside as he waited with his luggage. A red coupe with blackened windows pulled up and honked. A small child-size figure with a perfectly fitting mini black suit, black tie, a fedora, and sunglasses came running out to grab his luggage.

"Hurry up little master, the car's running," The house-elf said.

Riddle smirked, suppressing the urge to laugh. "Hey, Skull. When did you start driving?"

Skull threw the luggage in the trunk and ran inside. "Volunteered since your useless parents never learned."

Riddle got in on the passenger side, noticing the blocks attached to the gas and brakes with a strap for Skull's feet. He sat in a booster seat to help see over the dash.

"What happened to the driver Anders?" Riddle asked.

"Seatbelt." Skull reminded, lighting up a cigarette. "Apparently I'm too much elf for her. She quit last week."

Riddle put on his seatbelt as the car peeled out faster than the speed limit allowed. Riddle was used to Skull's unique personality so he kept quiet.

Skull rolled down the window, blew out smoke. He tapped the cigarette against the window as ash fell on the road. "We'll be home soon. The family has been waiting for you."

A car pulled up and the driver across from him frowned, unable to take his eyes off the strange little driver next to him. "Keep staring buddy, your eyes will stick that way," Skull shouted and flipped the guy off.

The man's eyes widened and he raced out of there. Skull chuckled to himself.

They finally drove up to the house. Skull stopped the car in front of the door. "I'll meet you inside. Don't worry about your luggage, I'll get it."

His mother ran to him, embracing him into a hug. "My son! My little wizard! Welcome home."

Riddle smiled up at his mother.

His father ran to the window, pulling back the curtain. "Did he borrow my sports car? I told him to use the family car! That little..."

Merope cleared her throat and nodded to their son.

"Oh yes. Welcome home son." Thomas clapped him on the back and patted his shoulder. "We've prepared a welcome home feast for you. Dinner is in an hour."

"You mean Skull prepared it," Riddle said.

"I supervised, don't you forget it," Thomas said with a fake pout.

"Yes father," Riddle said.

"So, meet any girls at school?" Thomas asked with a smile.

Riddle's face fell and he glared at his father before going upstairs to his room. "There are more important things like studies."

Merope looked at her husband and smiled. "He's just not at that age yet."

"Good heavens, it's like looking at a miniature version of my father," Thomas said.

Merope and Thomas both smiled at each other.

Skull came in pulling Riddle's luggage and slammed the door, a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

"Love the suit, been dipping into the family savings have we?" Thomas asked.

The house-elf waved as he went upstairs. "Elf's gotta look good."

Thomas rubbed the bridge of his nose and shook his head with a sigh. "It's a good thing we don't pay him a salary."

"I heard that," Skull shouted from above.

Merope leaned over and kissed her husband on the cheek.