42. The gentleman🌶️

Start from the beginning

I heard him take a deep breath at the mention of the cambion's name. When he spoke again, his voice trembled a little.

"Why are you asking me this, Auri? Are you somehow involved with him?"

"Not exactly. I've only heard his name."

"Good- keep it that way. That cambion is the worst of the demon offsprings, Auri. Please stay away from him."

"Dad, I won't do anything stupid, I promise. But I need more information on him - it's important."

"Auri, it's really better that you don't know anything. For your own good."

"Please, dad- he had something to do with my parents' death and I think he is planning something against shifters. I need to know who he is."

He sighed before he spoke again.

"Do you know what a cambion is?"

"Yes, I do- the offspring of a human and a demon."

"Correct. I won't go into the details of how cambions are created exactly- it's not a pretty story. But the bottom line is that every cambion has a demon parent. In Markolf's case, his father is Asmodeus, the demon of anger and lust. Asmodeus is a powerful demon. In fact, he is one of the great demons that is granted access to the realm where the angels and some of the most powerful magical creatures live."

Wait, what? Did I hear correctly- angels? Powerful magical creatures?.....When did these kinds of things become my reality? Then again, some goddess had apparently decided my fate already, so how could I possibly judge.

"Markolf was never granted access there because he is half-human- he was not considered demonic enough by his father to bring him along and he didn't have the powers of a great demon. He was sent to live on Earth instead, now causing havoc wherever he goes. He is angry and bitter for that which makes him extremely dangerous. Do you understand that I am trying to tell you, Auri?"

"I do, dad- I need to stay as far away from him as possible. Out of curiosity though, how do you kill a cambion?"

"Auri!"

"Okay, okay, sorry for asking. Right, I've got to go- it's been exhausting a few days. I love you. Tell Mum I love her too."

I hung up the phone before my dad could lecture me further on how reckless it would be to go after Markolf. It was too late for him to change my mind though- there was not a scenario in which I could let that cambion get away with his evil plans.

Lost in my own thoughts on how to bring Markolf down, the exhaustion finally took over as I found it harder and harder to keep my eyes open. As my eyelids finally closed, the world around me slowly faded away and tranquillity finally took over.

The day passed quickly once I woke up. I busied myself with helping Anna decorate the baby' s room and catching up with Natalia who I still hadn't seen since coming back. The training of the pack's warriors was left to Connor as I wanted to take a day for myself- a rarity in my life but one that I felt was very much needed with the craziness of the past few days. On top of that, I didn't really want anyone to see the schoolgirl-like excitement that was slowly starting to take over me as my date with Aiden was nearing. It was so abnormal for me and yet it felt so right. These mate bonds really were insane.

All feelings aside, it had been ages since I had been on a proper date so the nerves were also kicking in a bit. As I flicked through the outfits in my wardrobe, I realised that I had no idea what we were actually doing for the date which made choosing an outfit pretty impossible. I grabbed the phone from my nightstand and texted Aiden.