Chapter 1-Salem

Fuck, it was cold.

I zipped my black biker jacket up a bit further and crossed my arms, trying to retain any little bit of warmth I could. Walking from the subway to work was good exercise, but the streets of the city were basically giant wind tunnels. Especially in the winter.

I looked up at the dark clouds overhead, wondering if it would rain, when I felt a buzz from my pocket. I frowned when I saw the message displayed on my phone.

Eddie: Just got a call from the suppliers. The shipment's going to be late again this month.

I typed out a quick response.

Me: Seriously? That's the second month in a row. What did they say about it?

Theo: Just that they're "extremely busy" and will "try to have it to us as soon as possible."

Me: Weak excuse.

Theo: That's what I said!

Eddie: Istg...

I laughed. I could practically feel Eddie's eye roll at his husband through the phone.

Me: lol

Me: Look, all I know is that we're running dangerously low on supplies. We need that shipment.

I looked up from my phone to find myself standing across the street from The Rainbow Cup. The windows showed an amber glow from the light inside, with a decal on each of them stating the café name next to a drawing of a cup filled with rainbow coffee. Eager to warm up, I hurriedly made my way across, feeling another buzz from my pocket. I opened the message as I walked through the door of the café.

Eddie: We'll get it. We just have to be patient. There's nothing we can do right now.

I typed a response as I moved behind the coffee bar.

Me: There's always something we can do.

With that, I clicked off my phone, focusing on their red headed niece, Terra, and the bright faces of the customers around me. I talked with Terra a bit about the shipment before remembering one of the customers that I was eager to see.

"Is Winston here yet?" Terra nodded and pointed to a small table near the bookshelves where a white-haired man sat hunched over a chess board. I thanked her quickly before making my way over to him.

"Hello, Winnie the Pooh. How's it going?" Winston, used to this, didn't look up.

"You know I don't like that name, Salem."

"I'm aware. It just seems to fit you." I said, pulling an unused chair over to the table to sit down across from him. "Because you're a big softie." I grinned, looking down at the chessboard.    

"Well, I see you're still tapping into that bank of never ending wit," he said, still observing the chess board.

"You know it." I mused, looking down at the pieces as well. After a few moments, I leaned back in my seat, a smirk forming on my face. "I see you have the king on my side cornered."

"Ah, yes, but I can't make a move, lest I want that knight to be mischievous."

"Well then, it's a good thing I came along isn't it?" I said, fiddling with a piece near me.

"How so?" he said, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Because I have some very important information that would help you greatly." He raised a brow. "Shortly before you started playing, my pawns and knights met in secret to revolt and institute a representative democracy. They plan to kill the ruler who stands in the way of their goal, so..." I knocked over the small king piece on my side with my finger. "Vive la revolution."

"Oh, dear! Well, I suppose, I'll have to tip my hat to them." I laughed.

"Yes, the power of the people wins again." I said, standing. He chuckled.

"I suppose they follow the colonists in saying "Give me Liberty or give me Death!"

"I suppose." I grinned.

"Salem!" I turned to see Terra waving at me. Her hands jazzing slightly, signaling that she was starting to get nervous. Behind her, Ashlynn was banging the milk frother, presumably trying to get it to do its job.  I felt my smile dim slightly. That was the third appliance that had started to sputter out just in the past month and a half.

"Well, duty calls." I sighed and looked back at the board, noticing his almost empty cup just beyond. "Let me know when you need a refill on that, okay?" he gave a small nod.

"Thanks, dear." Winston put the pieces back where they were and continued his game. And with that, I moved behind the counter, beginning the day's work.