Chapter Eighteen

M A R E E N A

I stare into the mirror, looking into the eyes of the woman I'm learning to know. There was a time in my life when I wondered who I belonged to.

My Dad wasn't in my life and my mother was emotionally and sometimes physically absent. "So who am I?", I use to ask myself.

Then, when I started reading the Bible God showed me that no matter who left me or abandoned me, He is always my Father.

You know the song says "I once was lost but now I'm Found". That's my testimony. I lived wondering who could I run to since my mother and father abandoned me. Who would give me the Love and nurturing my heart desperately cried out for? I felt like a motherless child and a daddy less daughter.

I know now that GOD has been here the whole time. I was blind to it but now I see. That void in my heart is not only filled but overflowing with Love and Joy.

Now I'm finding out who I am. I know I'm a daughter of God. I'm a woman who has been through trials and tribulations.

Piece by piece I'm learning who I am.

"Mareena?"

I hear Yasmín voice through the door and I open it with a smile on my face.

Today's the day of the Gala.

Steven had a driver take us to a spa where I am scheduled for nail appointments and Hair appointments, and primping, etc.

Honestly, I've been fighting that voice in my head that is worrying about sticking out awkwardly or not looking up to par. A couple of weeks ago I was on the street and now I'm going to a Gala.

Sometimes it still shocks me when I think about it. My mind wanders to Steven. I wonder what he'll look like tonight...

I giggle softly as I make up a visual guess of his appearance tonight. I don't think I've ever been so attracted to a man in this way.

Growing up, relationships were not a usual thing for me. Not only was I a little thicker body-wise, but I was also seen as weirdly different from my peers. As I grew so did my insecurities and some of them still poke at me from time to time.

"Mareena c'mon we gotta get to the spa.", I hear Yasmín shout from the living room.

We leave the condo and soon arrive at a classy spa called "Bella". I walk in and observe the scenery as Yasmín checks us all in at the front desk.

We decided that we would bring Alana and baby Chrissy for a little lady bonding time.

"Right this way", a beautiful employee said leading us to the back. As soon as I sat down in a chair the primping began. We got deep tissue massages, Full hair, makeup, and nail appointments, and after all of that, it was time to get dressed.

I haven't looked at myself yet but when they delicately pulled the beautiful dress off the rack I began to wonder.

Yasmín, Alana, and Christiana are already dressed and ready. I smile brightly as I observe each of them.

Yasmín is dressed in a deep emerald-colored satin gown with the sleeves elegantly draping off of her shoulders. The dress is paired with a pair of translucent glittery, glass-looking heels, and a jeweled up silver clutch. Her curly hair is braided back into a high Afro-ponytail and her makeup is glam yet subtle.

Alana decided that she wanted to match with little Chrissy— which Yasmín and I thought was so cute and heartwarming. They are both dressed in a lilac ballerina gown with the skirt section poofed out. The dress is paired with matching glittery purple ballerina flats and white tights. Baby Chrissy's luscious curls are brushed and a cute purple headband with a bow-adorned her little head. Alana's hair is styled in a beautiful sleek braided bun with purple jewel pins decorating her hair.