Chapter Seventeen

M A R E E N A

¨Steven I-¨, my voice wobbles as I speak.  To be honest, I'm torn. Something is telling to say yes. A big part of me wants to. I'm afraid. Afraid of getting hurt.

Before I finish my sentence he quickly sits up straight, causing me to jerk forward a lil' since were holding hands. I open my mouth to speak but he abruptly interrupts.

¨You don't have to answer now. Sleep on it and then you can tell me your decision.¨, he said staring at me with a pleading look. I twist my lips to the side and furrow my brows.

My insecurities have been poking at me lately and I want them to disappear. I want to feel like ......I'm enough. Like isn't absurd that this handsome man would want to take me to a Gala with wealthy people and luxuries. I want to feel like him even finding me attractive isn't questionable. I want to feel like I'm enough.

¨I will think about it, Steven.¨

His pink lips curl up into a small smile. He releases my hand and reaches up. My breathing halts as his hand comes to rest on my cheek. He swipes the remains of my tears with his thumb. My lips are agape and my I blink my eyes slowly as our eyes lock.

My cheeks begin to warm up and a tickly feeling is in my stomach. He moves his hand, slowly caressing my cheek as he stares intensely into my eyes.

Before the tension between us gets any thicker I avert my gaze and thankfully I see something intriguing. Noticing my staring Steven removes his hand and turns to see what I'm looking at.

Flashing LED lights on a tall Ferris wheel and a roller coaster seemingly a couple blocks away.

¨Looks like the city fair.¨,he says as he looks back at me.

He tucks his bottom lip in his mouth and furrows his eyebrows.

¨You know what-¨, he says standing up abruptly and holding his hand out in front of me.

¨How about we go and have some fun?¨

I look from his inviting palm up to his charming smile.

¨What about dinner?¨, I question.

¨They'll charge me. C'mon Reena.¨,he says nodding his head towards his hand. I place my hand into his and we walk downstairs to the car hand-in-hand.

꧁꧂

¨So what first?!¨, I ask him with a beaming smile. He looks down at me with an amused smirk on his face. I move my feet around in the new pair of black flats that Steven bought me earlier. I was weary about playing games and going on rides with 3 inch heels on. We passed a clothing stand and there was a woman selling shoes,purses,and clothes. And boom now I got some comfy ballerina flats. Satin navy blue strings are criss-crossed around my ankles and honestly I think their cute.

Steven teased me a bit about the height difference and how I went from being at about his shoulder in height to his torso.

¨Hmmmm.... how about games first.¨he suggests. I nod in agreement and we go to a water gun contest game. The objective is to shoot water into the doggies mouth until the little beaker fills up. I'm about a quarter away from winning when I hear a 'ding ding ding' bell sound.

¨Yessirrr!¨ Steven shouts. I look at his beaker to see that its filled up and the light on top of the plastic doggie is blinking red. I clap my hand smiling softly as he picks his prize out of a cardboard box. Before I can clearly see what he chose he whizzes his hand into his pocket, shoving the prize deep into the black fabric.