"Maybe it was a mistake", you add, sighing. 

You open your book trying to find the correct page number to go to, but you feel your eyes starting to hurt and your vision gets blurry for a second. You quickly take a big sip of your coffee, you didn't wanna cry. Why were you even crying? You were not good with confrontations and arguments, it made you feel intense emotions that usually ended up with you crying. You didn't like it one bit, but well, it is what it is. 

"It.. wasn't a mistake", he says under his breath after what seemed like an hour.

"Huh?", you say and look at him. He sighs and puts his glasses above his head and rubs his face. 

"It wasn't a mistake, Y/N. I just, you are the only one I have, and I can't hurt you", he says still not looking at you. 

"I don't know what you mean", you say squinting your eyes a little looking at him, he was difficult to read. 

"I like you, I really do. I just don't know how to say this. Can we just be friends for a while?", he says, looking at you, his nervous hands running through his hair several times a minute. 

"Sure", you say. Another friend zone but this hurt a bit more, or not, you weren't sure where this was going. 

"Are you mad at me?", he asks trying to gauge your reaction but you have turned your face back to your book that you can't seem to read at all right now. 

All you can see is random words, your brain was too preoccupied. 

"I am not mad", you say quickly. A little too quickly. 

"Y/N", Obito sighs.

 "What?", you ask looking at him. 

"Okay I am just going to say it. You are the only one I can talk to. That evening was special and I meant everything I said and everything I did and it wasn't a mistake but I kept wondering what if it is a rebound?", he says everything pretty quickly. 

"Re-rebound?", you repeat mindlessly, but you remember they were your own words. 

Does this count as a rebound if the earlier one was only a one-sided relationship?

Probably. But it makes me a little less sad. I am all for being a little less sad.

He restlessly taps his foot on the ground and run his fingers through his hair again, his glasses on the table now. 

His hair. His scrunched up face. The crinkles on his nose. FOCUS, Y/N.

You were very easy. 

But he said he was all for being a little less sad. 

"Yes, rebound. Didn't you say it, yourself? What if, what if we are just being fickle? I..can't lose you", he says earnestly, looking at you. 

You suddenly became aware of the uncertainties of your own feelings. Maybe you were right and you liked all this because you have been reeling from the sadness of seeing the one you loved with someone else for so long, that even little attention, a source of a little happiness, was making you grow towards it like a flower craving the sun. 

What if you didn't feel the same eventually? 

Your expression changes to a more knowing one, as it dawns on you, too. You didn't want to rush into something, after all you had literally bonded over how you both were being rejected. 

"You are right", you say and give a small smile. Though sad, it wasn't fake. 

"You think so?", he asks his face lifting a little.