9

Ari

My eyes shoot open at the sound of my alarm. I'd set it for four thirty. I meant what I said about leaving by five. Mr. Caswell is a nice man. That'd be the last thing I want, for him to lose his job over someone like me.

But last night, I didn't know where else to turn.

Matter of fact, that was the last turn I'd made. As I ripped through bushes, climbed a fence or two, and fell on my face, ripping a new hole in my backpack, I made it to a familiar house. Familiar because on the walk to work the day before, Maya pointed it out to me. Said, "That's where Mr. C lives, I saw him pulling out the driveway this morning. You know, the hot English teacher across from Mr. Cross."

Like I could forget. Mr. Caswell has a face that's unforgettable, a body that's equally unforgettable. I have to force myself to keep my eyes down, because the few times I looked up during lecture, or during fifteen minute journal writing, he always had his eyes on me.

His eyes were always on me like he was already watching me and my stomach fluttered so violently every time. My insides go through enough somersaults already. The vicious pangs of anxiety, the twists of depression, and last night I got the wringing of absolute fear. It's a miracle I didn't throw up when I made it to Mr. Caswell's house. I guess I felt safe, for the most part.

Or maybe it was the fact that the sight of him without a shirt was incredibly calming. He's like nothing I've ever seen in this city.

I roll out of his bed, looking around the dark bedroom in disbelief. I'm actually in my English teachers house. In his room. I've slept in his bed. And I feel so guilty that I've done this to him.

I look down, remembering I'd slept in my work clothes. All that I have is yesterday's outfit because I didn't have time to dip back after work for anything else.

I was in the middle of my shift. It was about seven thirty, I'd bitten all my nails down during my break. I couldn't even focus on the music to ease my anxiety. Supergrass's Alright was no match for it like it normally is.

Stacey had been watching me all night. She didn't dare to ask me, though. I guess it breached my work contract, but I was sure that once I was off the clock, she'd hound me in the office until I spilled something. I was thinking up a lie as I sat at the bar, wheeling my feet back and forth against the concrete.

Maya was assisting Kevin's car, giggling as he reached out the window to grab her hips, when right out from the corner of my eye, a black car. The Honda that'd been parked on Mill street for nearly two years since Thomas had been thrown in.

It was him.

I stood up frantically, rolling myself inside and past Stacey who'd become alert and left the fry station as soon as she saw me kicking my skates off.

"Ari, what's wrong?"

"I'm so sorry, Stacey. But I have to leave," my voice broke as I slid my shoes on. "If anyone asks, I'm off today."

"If anyone asks?"

I breezed past her, slinging my backpack over my shoulder as I stepped out onto the sidewalk. I saw the car threatening to turn in just as I made my way down the opposite way. I thought I'd gotten away free, until the engine revved behind me, provoking me to run.

"I'm back, Ari!" His slime covered voice shouted as he kept up behind me.

I saw an alley and made a sharp turn into it, the tires only squealed behind me as he made the same left. He was just playing with me. If he wanted, he could have pulled beside me and snatched me into the car at any time. I knew that but it didn't make me give in. I kept going, my legs propelling me forward like my life depended on it. That's what it felt like.

Thomas was a bad man. He'd done things a girl my age should never have witnessed. He'd threatened to do some of those things to me.

"You know I keep my word, don't you!" He shouted and I felt the first tear leak out of my eye, drying just as quickly as it seeped out.

I'd ran through the dark. Nothing but his headlights shining the way in front of me. And then, I get the sudden nerve to leap, my hands wrapping around the gate and with a speed I didn't know I had in me, I quickly climbed over it.

As I fell to the ground, wincing as I realized I'd landed on my bad wrist, he squealed to a stop. "Fuck!"

I looked up to see that I'd landed in Carlson Park. I wasn't far from the school. My blurred eyes focused on the street on the other side, cars passing. And then I heard his car start back up and I pushed back up on my feet, my backpack dangled in my hand.

Maya's house was too far. Stacey wasn't home. Diana was probably blacked out on the couch or in his passengers seat.

I hopped another fence, hearing his engine roar on the main street. I'll run until I can't, I thought.

And that's when I ended up in front of Mr. Caswell's door. I didn't know if he'd help me, but I felt like he would. At least that's what it seems like he wanted me to believe since the school year's started.

I hear a light tapping on the door, making me jump.

"Ari? Are you in there?"

"Yeah," I croak. My throat hoarse from crying most of the night.

"Do you want something to eat before you leave?"

I slowly walk to the door, opening it to see him smiling weakly at me. For some reason, when he looks at me pityingly, I don't really mind.

"That's okay, Mr. Cas...I've worn out my welcome, I think."

And then I get a whiff of breakfast smells, and my mouth waters, making me swallow.

"No, you haven't worn out anything. This isn't the ideal situation we should be in, but since you're here, I made breakfast. I can't let you leave on an empty stomach."

This man got up out of his sleep to make me breakfast before I woke up, and I feel terrible about it. So terrible, I take a seat at the small breakfast bar table he has furnishing his equally small dining room space.

"I'm not a chef by any means." He slides a stack of the flattest pancakes I'd ever seen onto my plate. "Honestly, I've never made breakfast before. So, don't laugh at me."

I feel the corners of my lips rise as he scoops a big wooden spoonful of eggs beside the pancakes. "No promises."

I look up at him and our eyes lock just briefly, before he pulls them away.

He walks back into the kitchen, grabbing the syrup and setting it down. "I normally make waffles in the toaster, but I figured this was a good occasion to break open the pancake mix."

I graze the eggs with my fork before poking a chunk with the prongs and having a taste. Mr. Caswell sits across from me, there's barely any room on this table for two plates, but it's serving its purpose.

"So, what do you think? Grade me on my cooking."

"A little less done than I prefer..." I chuckle. "But you really can't go wrong with eggs."

He has a bite himself. "Yeah, these aren't very good, and I don't know what the hell happened to the pancakes."

I laugh, seeing his smiling eyes dance over my face that I'm sure is swollen from releasing a gallon of tears last night.

He stands from his seat. "How about some cereal?"

I nod. "Cereal is good."

He pours me a bowl, and himself one before returning to the table. We chatted mostly about school while he skirted around the big issue consuming me.

I appreciate him not flat out asking me again what it is that I've run away from, but it can't be rocket science. I'm sure he can solve the equation. I just hope he doesn't tell. I trust him enough to believe that he wouldn't, at least not right now.

I ate my breakfast as slowly as I could before the cereal began to get soggy, and then left his home before the sun came up, which I had to act fast because the summer sun is always early to rise.

But as I walked aimlessly down the sidewalk I thought to myself, maybe he will be the one thing I do like about high school.