43

Abel

I picked up a pizza right before the place down the street from the house closed for the night. Pepperoni and pineapple, because it's Ari's favorite and I don't mind flicking off a few pineapples if it means she's happy.

I left the dance in a great mood. Even though I had that run in with Shyla again, every time I have an opportunity to tell her off I only feel accomplished.

I feel lighter, like months of negative feelings are falling off of me in big flakey chunks. Like a snake shedding old scales.

Metamorphosis.

It feels like I'm coming into a new chapter of my life. One with Ari.

And even though I don't know what the near future holds for us, and it scares me to even think of it, I feel pretty good about that too.

I couldn't even dim down the smile pulling at my lips as I rustled with my keys by the front door. I love knowing someones waiting for me to come home.

I love knowing she's waiting for me.

When I push the door open, my smile's in full bloom.

But only for a second because that's all it takes to register the look on Ari's face.

She wipes her cheeks with the back of her sleeve as I enter the house, wondering what the fuck happened in the last thirty minutes that's got her crying by herself on the couch.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I set the pizza down on the coffee table and sit next to her, noticing the way she almost recoils from my knee touching hers. "Babe?"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

My brows bunch and I shake my head. "Tell you...what?"

I watch her reach for her phone and when she drops it in my lap, my stomach sinks as I look at the picture on the screen.

Fuck.

I didn't think I'd have to get into this now.

After my warning earlier, I figured Shyla would hopefully get the message and resign from her job so I wouldn't ever have to. But Ari's heartbroken glare is creating a knot in the pit of my belly.

"I'm sorry," is all I can manage to croak out.

"Why, Abel?" She lifts her eyes to the ceiling like it's an attempt to hold back the tears that come down anyway. Running quick down her cheeks. "Why were you hiding her from me? Your ex is the school nurse?"

"I wasn't hiding it, babe. I promise."

"Then why not mention it? I don't know how I didn't recognize her before. I remember seeing the pictures of you guys, I just didn't think..."

"I can assure you, I have no relationship with her at all whatsoever. I only just found out not long ago that she started working at Carlson."

"Then why are you hanging out at Homecoming?"

I rake my hair back with a heavy hand, realizing what this looks like. Ari's fragile. And I've tried to be nothing but gentle with her precious heart, but I really wasn't thinking at all.

And how ironic, only a week ago it finally occurred to me to toss those pictures of she and I. Because I'd finally lost the desire to go back.

Because I'd finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel, and I didn't want to see pictures of the old me anymore.

They are meaningless. Shyla is nothing to me.

And how I felt about her surely doesn't compare to the way I feel about Ari. Not even a little.

Sunshine (Student/Teacher Romance) 18+जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें