Jailbreak

The jailcell was almost pitch black, Kimba barely caught himself before slamming into the wall as the guards shoved him in, the sound of a lock turning behind him.  Both of the guards spun around and walked away.  “Damn Rahnian trash.”  Kimba heard one of them say as they disappeared behind the corner.  He sighed as his eyes adapted to the darkness, the jail around him becoming visible.  The cell he was in was hardly big enough for him to lay down, and there were puddles of black water emitting terrible odors.  Moss hung from the short ceiling, making contact with his hair.  The bars that blocked him in were a rusted iron, seeming to be on the verge of breaking.  Kimbas mind raced as he thought of ways to escape, pushing down thoughts of sorrow and pity for himself.

The sound of armour hitting the ground came from the hallway, then almost instantaneously the sound came again.  Kimba got close to the bars to see what was happening, and saw a tall shadow come around the corner of the hallway that the guards had disappeared behind.  Chills ran down his spine as he realized it was the boy from the dock, his tattoos seeming to create their own light source as he took silent footsteps towards Kimba, the only sound that came from the dark boys form was the keys that jangled in his hands.  Kimba was in awe at how silent the boy was, and started to question whether what he was seeing was real.  As the boy stood in front of the cells door, Kimba noticed that his eyes seemed to glow a dim green, and that his pupils were huge.  “Are you a demon?  Here to personally take me down to the depths of hell?”  Khonsu smiled at the boys strange assumption, the white teeth surprising Kimba, who was half expecting large fangs.  “What is your name?”  The black boy asked, his smooth, deep voice and distant accent giving Kimba an odd comfort.  “Kimba.”  Kimba said instantly, eager to learn more about this tattooed boy.  Kimba heard the keys jingle again as the Khonsu tossed them to him through the bars.  “You seem like one who doesn’t like help, so let yourself out.”  Khonsu said as he backed up.  Kimba caught the keys and looked at the boy once more, trying to see if it was a trick.  He slowly reached his hand around the bar and inserted the key into the lock.  Khonsu watched with folded arms as the boy let himself out, then held out a hand.  “I am Khonsu of the Kyz jungles.  I am of the Mesic.”  Kimba flinched at the boys sudden movement and froze at his words.  The Mesic.  He had heard of them, everyone has heard of them.  Kimba always thought they were just a legend.  A dumb one at that, considering they worshipped the moon.  Nonetheless, Kimba took his hand and gave it an aggressive shake.  Khonsu smiled again, “The White Lion.”

“What?”

“It’s nothing. Come, we must get out before the pink ones find out about what I have done.”  Khonsu said before closing his eyes and speaking something that was inaudible to Kimba.  “Pink ones? And what was that?”  Khonsu opened his eyes, the small pupils dilating again.  It made Kimba nervous.  “It was a prayer to Ania.”  Kimba frowned at that, not feeling like the moon had anything to do with it.  Khonsu turned his back to the boy and took his silent footsteps toward the hallway.  What the hell is going on? Kimba thought to himself.  He followed the Khonsu into the hall, amazed at what he saw.  The guards that had thrown kimba in the cell were sprawled on the floor, and at the exit were two more men.  Kimba silently noted that the boy was not to be toyed with.  

The day was darkening, and Khonsu picked up on the clang of armoured footsteps coming from down the city.  The city guard was not far.  Kimba was trying to take it all in as he stared at the grown, armoured men that lay on the dirt ground.  He counted at least seven of them before he was dragged by the arm, Khonsu pulling him as guards rounded the corner.  “Get them!”  He heard a shout from behind.  There were too many guards for Khonsu to fight and watch the boy at the same time, so he came up with a risky idea.

Khonsu ran ahead of Kimba, leading them back towards the docks as the guards behind them gave chase.  They ran past civilians not giving a care about their wellbeing, the shops on the side of the road falling, spilling fruits and meats everywhere.  Up ahead Khonsu could see the gate, and was relieved to find it still open.  They turned at the gate, Khonsu remembering that they were in the merchants dock, and he had to get them to the general dock.  Kimba sprinted after the Khonsu, confused as to where they were going.  The general dock held ships owned by a private sailor and his crew, which is exactly what Khonsu needed.  He turned out at the general dock gates, looking for a ship that had a crew on it.  Kimba struggled to keep up, the stamina of the boy ahead was astounding.  He watched Khonsu turn into the a pier that held a large ship on the end of it, with what seemed to be an entire crew.  Kimba looked back to see they had a good lead on the guards, the armor that they wore efficiently backfiring.

Khonsu jumped on the ship, with a loud slam, getting the attention of all the mates around him.  “Where is the captain?”  He shouted to them.  Doors towards the back of the ship burst open, a rather young man emerging from the dark.  He wore a hat similar to Khonsus former captain, and had a missing leg that was replaced by a stump of wood.  “Who the hell are you?”  The captain snarled, staring at the strange black boy that bore odd tattoos..  Khonsu spoke quickly, “I am Khonsu of the Mesic, this is my friend Kimba, and we need to get out of this land.”  The captain opened his mouth to speak as Khonsu flung a large bag of coins at him.  The captain caught it with ease and opened it, his eyes shining.  Kimba looked back at the docks, keeping an eye out for the city guard.  The captain smiled and pocketed the bag.  “And if I don’t?  What’s keeping me from getting rid of you two then keeping the shinings for me self?”  Feeling angered and impatient, Khonsu walked up to the beefiest sailor he could find, who happened to be looking at him with an amused expression.  

Kimba saw the guards turn onto the pier and scout each ship as they made their way down the wooden walkway.  Kimba turned back to tell Khonsu when he saw the entire crew with their swords out, looking at a corner of the ship.  His eyes followed to the spot of interest to see Khonsu slamming the head of a man twice his size onto the mast of the ship, blood squirting onto the ground and pole.  Khonsu threw the man’s groaning form onto the deck and raised his gaze, making intense eye contact with the captain, dark blood dripping from his fingertips.  “I do not have time for debate.”  Khonsu said darkly, sounding more like he was gambling for a soul than for passage on a ship.  The captain swallowed and nodded, waving them to the depths of the ship.  “Come boys, let’s get you out of sight.  The guards would have my head if they saw you on my ship.”

Kimba jumped down and followed the captain and Khonsu as they were led down to actual quarters instead one of the many dark corners that the ship had.  The captain shooed them in there and closed the door behind them, hurrying back up to the deck to greet the guards as they came by.  

The quarters were tiny, hardly room for the two of them to lay, but it had two seperate beds which was something neither of them had seen in awhile.  At the foot of each of their beds was a desk with a lamp, surely for those who kept journals and needed a place to write.  They both fell on their beds and Kimba looked over to Khonsu, “Nice to meet you.”

If you liked this chapter don't forget to vote! And feedback always helps! :)