A Dangerous Thing, Being Harry Potter's Friend

A few weeks later, Friday morning, everyone was trembling with nerves for the quidditch game that would take place the next day. After everyone had woken up, breakfast ensued in the dining hall. Along with breakfast came the owls with mail, dropping parcels of all sizes on people's laps. Charlize sat up straighter as an envelope landed on her, thankfully, empty plate. The front read, Charlize Snape, and it was in her father's handwriting. The letter was expected, however the small box that hit her head then fell in her lap a few minutes later than the usual mail, was not. Charlize opened the box carefully under the table, only to find it was filled with a few different pastries and a note. Picking up the note gingerly and flipping it over in search of writing, she found what she was looking for.

I wasn't sure which one you'd like, so I've sent one of each of my favorite wizard treats. It's only fair.

There was no name signed, but taking into consideration the set of eyes she could feel burning into the back of her head, she had a pretty good idea of who it could be. Turning around, her eyes connected with the icey blue ones. Draco, turning red, wanted to turn away but couldn't as Charlize offered him a small smile and mouthed the words thank you. Draco gave a curt nod then turned as not to draw too much attention to their silent conversation. Charlize laughed and shook her head turning back to the table, closing the box to save the treats for later.

            "Are you coming to the game?"

           "Pardon me?" Charlize asked, she hadn't been paying attention to the conversation at all.

Hermione laughed, having caught the reason for her cluelessness, but soon covered her mouth not wanting the others to question her.

           "The quidditch game, between us and Hufflepuff." Harry asked again.

           "Oh, uh yes, of course." She got out quickly, she knew Harry was worried and she wanted to be there for him.

           "Thanks, Char." Harry said quietly, grabbing her hand gently in appreciation, receiving a nod in return.

The group turned back to their meals, Harry being rather peckish due to his nerves. Charlize however was, sitting with a stupid grin on her face, a grin just as stupid as the one painted on a blonde Slytherin boys pale features.

The group made it to their last class of the day, Defense Against the Dark Arts, with Slytherin. Charlize walked into the class, strategically picking a table closer to where Draco was sitting. Class started, peculiarly enough, with Professor Snape. He explained that Professor Lupin had fallen ill and couldn't teach at the moment. The class had gone on with many, many hitches, and even Charlize had a sour face on because of the attitude of her father. That is until an origami crane flew over her head and landed next to Harry, turning she saw the culprit, Draco Malfoy. On the paper was a drawing of Harry and the dementors, then Harry getting frightened by them.

           "Clever." She said to Draco with an unamused whisper.

Next thing she knew, a crane had flown over to her, picking it up and opening it she let out a quiet laugh.

Jealous I didn't give you a note, Snape?

-D.L.M.

Charlize wrote back a response as subtly as she could, so her father wouldn't see.

Get over yourself, Malfoy.

-C.S.

She drew a small heart to spite him, and was about to send the note back when she heard her name fall with the unmistakable tone.