Chapter 22- Nothing To Lose

Julie's POV

Caleb grinned wickedly, walking away from Luke who lay on the ground, coughing weakly.

"I thought you'd play the hero in the end," he sneered, walking closer to me. I raised my eyebrows, my curiosity going against my better judgement.

"What do you mean?"

Caleb laughed, walking closer. He was now less than twenty feet away. I shivered as a chill ran up my spine- almost as if I could feel his presence drawing closer.

"The prisoner turned hero. It's a classic story, one that seems to keep repeating itself."

"Julie," Alex whispered, grabbing my hand, "you don't have to do this, he's dangerous-"

"Yes, I do," I whispered back, squeezing his hand.

Alex looked hesitant, but eventually nodded.

"I trust you," he said quietly, releasing my hand and stepping away. I turned back to Caleb.

"Why do you even want me working for you?" I asked. Caleb continued to walk closer. Luke had gotten to his feet, and I winced when I saw blood under his nose.

"Julie," he gasped, breathing heavily. "Julie, don't-"

"Why do I want you working for me?" Caleb asked, his cold eyes boring into mine. "You're too powerful, darling. I need you on my side." I glared at him.

"If you weren't so evil you wouldn't have to worry about more powerful people," I responded.

He was now ten feet away.

"I'm afraid that's not how it works."

I bit my lip as he continued walking towards me. His eyes raked over me like I was his prey.

"Then how does it work?"

Five feet.

"We all work for someone, darling."

"Stop calling me that," I hissed.

Two feet.

Caleb stopped directly in front of me. I looked up at him. He was tall- taller than Luke, Reggie, and even Alex. He was intimidating and made me feel small but there was no way I was going to let him know that. I stood as tall as possible, narrowing my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Julie, but I can't let you go," he said. I crossed my arms.

"Of course you can."

Caleb threw his head back and laughed, his body shaking. When he tilted his head I caught sight of a small cut on the side of his head, just under his ear. There were small drops of blood dripping from it.

Even though it was a tiny cut, I felt great satisfaction in knowing that we did that to him.

"No, I don't think so," Caleb said once he stopped laughing. "If I let you go, I'll have to bring you here again and frankly, that would be an enormous waste of time and energy." He leaned down until we were at eye level with each other.

"Not to mention a difficult explanation to the Archivist."

I scrunched my nose. Who was the Archivist?

"I don't understand."

"Of course you don't."

Caleb straightened up and walked in a slow circle around me. I didn't move, following him only with my eyes.

"This world is bigger than you could even imagine," he said from somewhere behind me. I stayed still.

"There are beings even above ghosts. Beings that you can't put to words. There is no explanation for them. They just... exist."